• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hi 60 front or 14 bolt front?

I Been trying to tell him high pinion 60!!!! look at bobby tanner he beats the **** out of his and it holds up better than anybody else's but what do i know i got one laying by the shop! guess he don't want any ford stuff on the buggy!

natedawgxj said:
I Been trying to tell him high pinion 60!!!! look at bobby tanner he beats the **** out of his and it holds up better than anybody else's but what do i know i got one laying by the shop! guess he don't want any ford stuff on the buggy!

I'd be willing to haul that off for you ;D

patooyee said:
Not on a front end that needs to be offset equal to a typical 60 front. Unless you're going to be very narrow a stock long side shaft is not long enough to make a "full width" front end out of. Subsequently, the short side is way too long, thus to make a front end you need custom shafts pretty much no matter what.

The cheap steering rock hybrid axle only works with a centered dif using 2 stock short side shafts.

J. J.

I was with you until the last statement....?

If using a set of factory shafts, ie long and short sides, doesnt' make a "full width" axle, then how does using 2 short side shafts with a centered diff make a viable "full width" axle.

I cant see that a 14bolt diff and Rockwell diff are that much different in width, so how would using stock rockwell shafts not make a "full width" axle with an offset diff?

I could see it if you were buildng a Passenger side drop axle, because of the pinion offset of a 14bolt diff? But a driverside diff shouldnt be much worse than a 79 HP60

flip the 300 and run a hp 60 put aftermarket knuckles on it fix the inner c when and if they break same drive train lot less work just my opinion

TBItoy said:
I was with you until the last statement....?

If using a set of factory shafts, ie long and short sides, doesnt' make a "full width" axle, then how does using 2 short side shafts with a centered diff make a viable "full width" axle.

I cant see that a 14bolt diff and Rockwell diff are that much different in width, so how would using stock rockwell shafts not make a "full width" axle with an offset diff?

I could see it if you were buildng a Passenger side drop axle, because of the pinion offset of a 14bolt diff? But a driverside diff shouldnt be much worse than a 79 HP60

I'm sorry, I should have clarified my statement. My brain is stuck in Chevy mode since that's all I've been messing with the past few years. I've never modeled a driver drop up to see. Its not the width of the dif that is the issue, its the offset of the pinion. It might work on a 14-bolt driver drop. Do some measuring and let us know.

As for the centered dif rear, I'm just going by what blacksheep has told me in the past about the one he built. He confirmed my statement about the front in one of our conversations but he might have been stuck in Chevy mode then, too.

J. J.

patooyee said:
I'm sorry, I should have clarified my statement. My brain is stuck in Chevy mode since that's all I've been messing with the past few years. I've never modeled a driver drop up to see. Its not the width of the dif that is the issue, its the offset of the pinion. It might work on a 14-bolt driver drop. Do some measuring and let us know.

As for the centered dif rear, I'm just going by what blacksheep has told me in the past about the one he built. He confirmed my statement about the front in one of our conversations but he might have been stuck in Chevy mode then, too.

J. J.

Gotcha.

I figured that's what you were talking about. Kelly probably built the center diff rear with 2 short sides just to make it a "reasonable width" especially if he put the 14 bolts hubs on the rock spindles (which i think he did...?)

But yeah, the pinion offset of a 14 bolt is retarded when trying to build a pass side drop axle.

I've sold all my rockwell and one ton stuff, sticking to lil toyota bidness for now.

I thought you ran a Ford 205 behind a chevy tranny in your buggy?

natedawgxj said:

lol. nope, never been a ford fan....

TBItoy said:
Gotcha.

I figured that's what you were talking about. Kelly probably built the center diff rear with 2 short sides just to make it a "reasonable width" especially if he put the 14 bolts hubs on the rock spindles (which i think he did...?)

But yeah, the pinion offset of a 14 bolt is retarded when trying to build a pass side drop axle.

I've sold all my rockwell and one ton stuff, sticking to lil toyota bidness for now.

I thought you ran a Ford 205 behind a chevy tranny in your buggy?

I switched to a Chevy 205 in the new rig so that I could have the LoMox 3:1. IIRC Kelly once told me that his 14-bolt rock steering rear with 2 short side shafts was still 69" wide which puts it right in line with a Chevy 60 front.

J. J.

patooyee said:
I switched to a Chevy 205 in the new rig so that I could have the LoMox 3:1. IIRC Kelly once told me that his 14-bolt rock steering rear with 2 short side shafts was still 69" wide which puts it right in line with a Chevy 60 front.

J. J.
2 short inner TOUCHING in teh middle is 69" wide with 14 hubs and spindles on a rock knuckle.

blacksheep10 said:
2 short inner TOUCHING in teh middle is 69" wide with 14 hubs and spindles on a rock knuckle.
Do you have a link to a buildup?

Did you turn down the Rock spindles to 14B dimensions?

How did you you change the 14B center to accept Rock shafts? Weld in Rock spider gears?

Sorry, this is just very interesting and fascinating to me. Thanks!

TBItoy said:
I wonder how wide it would end up if you used 2 rock stubs on one side and a long side.with 14 bolt hubs and spindles?

I don't have a measurement on a stub shaft but a stock short shaft is about 23.125" long from the flat side of the yoke where it rides up against the axle seal housing. A long side is 30.5625". If someone knows the length on a stub shaft you should be able to use Kelly's numbers to calculate almost any combo using 14-bolt spindles / hubs. Or I can measure a stub tomorrow at the shop.

J. J.