• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hi 60 front or 14 bolt front?

lay

NOT FOR SALE
Aight im in the process of building another rig and been kicking the ideal of building a front,and was wanting yalls opinion

I currently have a hi pinion 60 front in it and before I spend a bunch on rcv's ,I have been thinking about building a 14 bolt to replace it. Heres the deal sale 60 minus outters and build 14 front or slap rcv's in the 60 and rock out. How tuff is a hi60 compared to a 14. Also how much abuse will the ring and pinions hold up if I run rcv's. Here's my setup ls1 "goodies to come soon" th350 atlas 3.0 42's at the moment but want to run stickies of somesort sx's or treps 40's and above !

Can't you run HP 70 gears in the 60 if/when they let go? Providing they make a HP 70 gear that matches what you're runnin gout back. Jana 76 or whatever it is

Yeah but was told that the pinion sizes where the same in the 70 and the 60 ??????so I don't know the plus with running the 70 gears if that is the case ? Maybe cole can chime in on this subject!

HP 60 is pretty stout. What gear ratio? Bobby tanner runs a HP60 and it takes a beating but has 3.73 gears in it.
It pretty much depends on how much you want to spend.

It ain't like your gonna keep it long enough to break it!! ;D

Yeah yeah yeah! :flipoff1:I plan on keeping this one for a while it was built how I wanted it.
4:10s. Might go to 4:56s

So cole what is the answer on the pinion size of the 76 kit compared to 60 pinion

lay said:
Yeah yeah yeah! :flipoff1:I plan on keeping this one for a while it was built how I wanted it.
4:10s. Might go to 4:56s

So cole what is the answer on the pinion size of the 76 kit compared to 60 pinion

The Dana 60 and Dana 70 pinions are the same size. The 70 pinion is a little longer.

lay said:
Oh yeah cole what is the process of putting the kit in and who do yours

I had the guy who sets all my gears up do it and he said it was a pain. I had to have a Dana 70 locker also.
I got lucky and my BTF diff cover only needed minor grinding to clear the ring gear.
If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't do it, because I have a ton of money in it now and I am still skeptical sometimes.

Housing with stock c's to housing with Solid c's, apples to apples (assuming he hadnt' already paid JS to build a truss and mounts on it) a 4.10 geared 14 front will be about $1000, and assume he can get $700 out of his HP 60. That's upgrading to solid c's. If he has a stock set of c's and a buddy with a lathe he could save about $300 assuming said buddy works free.
Figure a grand and be flexible.

lay I think we know the same guy and I think he is getting ready to build a couple of 14 fronts.

HP70 gears only come in 5.13.

If you've already got the front 60 build that. The front HP60 is much more comparable in strength to a front 14 bolt than a traditional LP60 in the front. I'm going to be running a built HP60 in the front of my unit with 530hp and stickies. I'm not worried about it at all.