• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

High mileage diesels

85toyo

I'm looking into getting a new tow rig but can't justify buying a new one since I'm never home to drive it. I've been looking at 2002-2004 duramax. Most have around 200k or more on them. What should I expect if I buy one? Will it last for a few more years?

Injectors might be an issue if they were not changed already. When looking at the truck you want see if it blue smokes at idle or lopes some, which gives signs of bad injectors. Also fuel pressure regulators go out and cause some rough idle. Water pumps on those years went out with miles on them, mine went at 110k which is an 04 model.The normal chevy suspension parts (ball joints/tie rod ends/pitman idler arm) will probably be shot. If it wasnt abused by some kid I wouldnt hesitate to buy one with miles. assuming it has an allison tranny and hasnt been abused or beat it will be good to go with fluid and filter change.

i know your looking at a duramax.......but my 2001 cummins has about 293,xxx miles on it and all i have ever had to replaced on it
is the lift pump and the injection pump....and only 1 time for both...and that was about 3,000 miles ago

(if you pay for it to be fixed) water pumps on them dirtymaxes are nasty exspensive

dad drives an 04.5 duramax with 240k miles.... runs strong and never had any huge problems from it. we got lucky and got it from the original owner about a year ago.

I know injectors will be the main problem with a diesel but I've never priced them out. If a few go bad how much are we talking to fix it?

85toyo said:
I know injectors will be the main problem with a diesel but I've never priced them out. If a few go bad how much are we talking to fix it?
2001-2003 injectors are about $425 each from Schied Diesel but im sure there are some other
places that might have different years for the injectors...but i bet they wont get any cheaper

04 or later the injectors are a little easier to change out since they are not under the valve covers. this is good timing, cuz I am in the same boat and looking for a cash diesel, but dont mind mileage.

Brian

Almost everything involving a diesel is going to be expensive :****: unless you can do the work yourself. If you get a dodge stay away from the autos unless you can afford a well built transmission. I have an 05 dually 4x4 with a 6spd and love it. Just had a clutch put in it and if it were not for tha tuner that i have on it i probably wouldnt have even needed it ;D With that being said and with my close relation with Murphy and his laws, It will probably die today lol. Good luck.

I wouldn't say the main prob with a diesel is inj. I WOULD say the main prob with 02 04 Chevys is the inj. $3500 to have them replaced if you in there you might as well do them all. I have an 03 and an 02 both have had them done twice every 50000 to 80000 miles. Also have an 03 dodge had trans rebuilt that's about it.

Bought my 02 7.3 Ford with 200k on it and already put 20k miles on it with no problems. I just change the oil and fuel filter. It is about time for some TREs and Ball Joints though. :dblthumb:

What should I watch out for if I look at a Ford? Don't really want to get away from a chevy but if the price is right I might do it

85toyo said:
What should I watch out for if I look at a Ford? Don't really want to get away from a chevy but if the price is right I might do it
Ford's have injector, and head stud problems with 6.0. If you do end up with one of these plan on about $2500 for new injectors and an EGR delete. Once you have done those you will have yourself a 500k truck with plenty of power. I bought my 2006 DRW F-350 with 180k on it about 18 months ago and have 230k now. No problems after I dropped the $2500, which I had planned on. I am def not a GM guy for one reason. They are good looking vehicles, but I don't think an HD truck should have IFS, but just my 2¢.

The Chevrolet is IMO the best all around truck. However, I would not personally own one (01-early 04) unless it had history on the injectors. If you take care of the injectors and change fuel filter regularly they are not as prone to problems also. I have a 07.5 Duramax and love it. Hate the emissions ****, but am strongly considering deleting it.

matth_85 said:
The Chevrolet is IMO the best all around truck. However, I would not personally own one (01-early 04) unless it had history on the injectors. If you take care of the injectors and change fuel filter regularly they are not as prone to problems also. I have a 07.5 Duramax and love it. Hate the emissions ****, but am strongly considering deleting it.
My dads old truck was a 08 3500 DRW and he got the particulate filter delete pipe and never had any more trouble out of. Put 100 thousand on it the traded it in on a 2011 and had problems with the def system in the first 20 thousands miles. The old 06 he had never had a single problem with 100 thousand on it. All of these trucks were used to pull a boat with the biggest slide in camper they make in the back (7,000 lbs loaded normally). Over half of the miles put on these trucks were pulling that load. With that said I think the newer years are very good trucks but I don't have any experience with the older models.