• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

High Steer on a 44.....What is needed?

DHR Darren

I have the flat top knuckles already and was curious what all is needed to be done to make it a high steer setup. I have ordered the Barnes 4WD crossover steering kit and know the knuckles need drilled,tapped and studded but what is done with the box/pitman arm? I will be using a 73 chevy 3/4 ton steering box. Where is a good place to source the High Steer arms or do most make their own...???

Thanks in advance.

I use 2wd Chev boxes, ORD pitman arm, stock Chev drag link ends, and arms from Dean at Bent Metal Customs. Are you doing the drag link or drag link and tie rod up high? The spacer is to clear leafsprings if you have a thick pack.

I am doing the drag link and tie rod both up high. I have BDS YJ springs so they are a thin pack. I will be using heims instead of tie rod ends.

Any link to those arms or the cost of them?
What year of 2wd box do you use?

you can use your existing 4x4 box,just change the sector shaft to a 2wd version..mid 80s they changed to o rings on the fittings,,otherwise they are unchanged from 73-80 or so...2 or 4 wd.. any 2wd chevy 1/2 ton to 1 ton box or sector shaft will work