• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hillbilly camper ideas

Awesome camper build! I plan on doing something like this in the near future.
getting lots of ideas from you fellas.

sleepsontoilet said:
Still have a ways to go, but it's started. I had to completely rewire the whole thing, add new tires, buffed down all the bare rusting metal and painted it, put the old aluminum inside floor down as a new rear deck, 3/4" pressure treated plywood inside for a new floor to stick the new flooring to, and snagged some cabinets from Home Depot on their Labor Day sale. Hoping to get it done over the winter.

Today I got the flooring installed. Now I can lay out the cabinets and see where everything will actually fall. Then I can plan out the water heater, electric panel, etc. for wiring and plumbing.

jasper said:
Installed the bed door last night. Need to find someone the can cut and sew the canvas. Robbed it from a pop up I'm using for parts.

Have any pics of how did this w it folded out? That's a damn good idea! I want to put living quarters back in ,y trailer (they were taken out to fit a bigger vehicle) and have been trying to figure out how to put a bigger bed in it without taking up too much room (it's a bumper pull, used to have a futon to sleep on).

Did you do any reinforcing to the wall?

Camper is turning out really nice. Looking at it from a lazy point of view and also not owning a diesel truck that U-Haul idea is really a good idea... never really thought about them selling their trucks... looks like they are all gas though. Wonder how well they will pull a trailer with a ride on it and what kind of gas mileage it gets doing it?? Id think you would want a diesel for a truck that big but I have no idea.

Sorry Mckeddie I haven't had a chance to work on it. I'll try to fold it down and take some pictures of it in the next couple days. No extra supports yet. It has a 2x2x1/8" angle frame mounted in a hole in cut in the FRP. Seems to be very sturdy. If it needs any support about all I can come up with is to run an angle or tube from floor to ceiling and tie it all together.

sleepsontoilet said:
Today I got the flooring installed. Now I can lay out the cabinets and see where everything will actually fall. Then I can plan out the water heater, electric panel, etc. for wiring and plumbing.

Did you build this trailer or buy it? What kind of trailer did it start out as?

nealcj8 said:
Did you build this trailer or buy it? What kind of trailer did it start out as?

It was for sale on here a couple years ago. I found it on Craigslist and traded my 30' deckover for it a few months ago. I'm not sure why the previous owner cut it in half, but he got overwhelmed and listed it. It sat for a couple of years before I got it, so I had to strip it and finish weld it. It's since been fully rewired, new floors, insulation, a/c, etc. It started out as a 28' Pace enclosed trailer.

The day I picked it up

Eddyj, I got up 5 wall panels today but no pics of it. It's taking forever as there isn't a straight beam in this trailer. The back wall actually is 3/4" wider at the top than the bottom. Yesterday I finished installing the cabinets after trimming the Lazy Susan around the gooseneck support.

Not a bad deal if it's done right http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5901539257.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddyj said:
I usually don't regret not buyin something. But this...

I hope it turns out nice, but dang is every beam off center. Pace definitely lacked in quality compliance when this was built. The rear wall is 3/4" wider at the top than the bottom, and the front wall is 1/2 taller in the middle than both outside corners. I got 11 panels trimmed and put in today and yesterday. Gonna try and wrap up the paneling next week and start installing appliances. I think it'll look sharp once it's all trimmed and painted.

sleepsontoilet said:
The rear wall is 3/4" wider at the top than the bottom, and the front wall is 1/2 taller in the middle than both outside corners.

No excuse for the 3/4" wider, but trailers are supposed to be peaked. A factory roof bow comes with some roll to it. I'm in the trailer biz, I've heard 2-3 reasons why, but the one that made the most sense to me is to shed water and not bend inward when there's a couple hundred pounds of snow or ice on it.

5BrothersFabrication said:
No excuse for the 3/4" wider, but trailers are supposed to be peaked. A factory roof bow comes with some roll to it. I'm in the trailer biz, I've heard 2-3 reasons why, but the one that made the most sense to me is to shed water and not bend inward when there's a couple hundred pounds of snow or ice on it.

Every wall support is off as well. Most are bent like a banana, not just angled. It made trimming insulation a pain. It'll be sweet once it's trimmed in finally. Overall I'm happy with it, can't expect much when you trade a $2800 gooseneck for it.

Latest posts