• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hillbilly camper ideas

jasper

Well I'm looking to mount my uhaul box on my gooseneck and use it as a camper. I'm sure it's been done alot and I'm looking for some ideas and some pics any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Here's where I'm starting. Owner before me cut down mom's attic to fit his semi.

Attachments

• 01616_8mPBxy0jtAF_600x450.jpg
    01616_8mPBxy0jtAF_600x450.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,250
My buddy is doing the same thing. Really just in the planning stage. Some ideas are put cabinets at the same height as the attic for a queen size bed, take out the rolling door frame in for an RV door maybe a window also. His has some plywood rot on the lower right side so we'll build some built-in storage with access from outside.

Box is mounted and mom's attic is dropped back down. Wood needs to be replaced in attic area.

Attachments

• 618201692455.jpg
    618201692455.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,198
My brother in law built a toy hauler out of a Uhaul box. It's got a small fridge, sink, shower, crapper, AC, heater, and a freaking washing machine. He built it back when he did insurance adjusting so that he had a place to stay and was able to take a car with him.

That's nice. Like to see the interior. I really like the chevy. I made a trip to a couple surplus stores in Elkhart. Got the doors, windows, outside storage doors and some miscellaneous stuff. Plus I have a pop up that I'm gonna rob for the A/C and the fridge. And my big project is to fab up a fold out bed door from the pop up canvas for the boys to sleep on. I think that would open up floor space for a shower and crapper.

This is the mounts I made to hold it to the trailer. And I'll be able to fab up some with jacks so I can remove the box .

Attachments

• 6182016112158.jpg
    6182016112158.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 153
I'm just running the whole Uhaul. No need for a trailer/trailer tire issues/trailer wheel bearing issues/a truck to pull the trailer with/licensing the trailer/etc etc!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 141
Re: Re: Hillbilly camper ideas

Craig_c said:
I'm just running the whole Uhaul. No need for a trailer/trailer tire issues/trailer wheel bearing issues/a truck to pull the trailer with/licensing the trailer/etc etc!
Since I sold my Duramax, I'm seriously considering buying one of these for a wheelin travel rig. My wife even thought it was a good idea lol.

How do you like it? What drivetrain combo is in that one?

Shoot me a pm... I might be interested in the rest of the popup..

X 1,000,000 on the chevy... Much want!

Re: Re: Hillbilly camper ideas

TBItoy said:
Since I sold my Duramax, I'm seriously considering buying one of these for a wheelin travel rig. My wife even thought it was a good idea lol.

How do you like it? What drivetrain combo is in that one?

It's a 7.3 IDI and a 5 speed spicer for now. I'm about to start swapping in a 24v Cummins and Allison. They do ok with the 7.3 for only having 175hp. But, they are noisy and on the governer at 68-70ish mph. It doesn't ride great but it's not terrible, the bench seat is actually pretty comfy. Wish some good can insulation it would be a completely different truck to drive.

I wish i could find the epic pirate thread about the homemade wood camper on the back of a f350 with a wood burning heater in it

I'm not sure of the Weight of it. Aluminum floor, roof and trim. And FRP sides. The flat inside not counting attic is just under 10'. I really like the idea of the entire truck with the cummins repower.