• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Horsepower numbers! wheel horsepower vs flywheel on an LS motor

3ad97711a22a8012bac39e0561d021bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had Lane dyno a couple of buggies for me. one with an LS and one with a built SBC. the loss was substantial on both

here is some info for reference. I know that redneckengineering had a good thread similar to this a while back with a lot of good numbers... the dyno would hurt a lot of peoples feelings with their 6.0 with a texas speed cam

- The SBC was dynoed at the engine builder at over 500 HP at the crank (with a carb)
o ATK Engines Chevy 383
o Splayed 6 bolt mains
o 11.5/1 compression
o Brodix ported heads
o Roller cam/roller rocker combo

- same engine with Holley FI only put down 197 HP to the rear tires (TH400, Atlas, Gearworks 10" 5.43 and 42" treps) on 93 octane

so now my engine is being pulled to be built with a bigger cam and some more goodies because less than 200 hp at the wheels is just unacceptable! :****:

the LS that he done was mild

07 LQ4 6.0
Block Hugger Headers
LS2 intake, throttle body, MAF, and injectors
stock internals
running through a TH400, atlas, 14 bolt with 5.13's and 39" krawlers it made 230 HP at the wheels.

I can tell you that the SBC i have now seems a good bit stronger than the 6.0 that I had, but the dyno numbers show otherwise. Looking at what the 6.0 should have made at the crank VS what I know my SBC made at the crank the seat of the pants feel makes sense (SBC has 100 more HP)

So, I said all that to say this... you can't always judge an engine by the dyno numbers :stir:

EOR Racing Dyno Session

Defender Buggy Dyno tune

onetoncrawler said:
I have had Lane dyno a couple of buggies for me. one with an LS and one with a built SBC. the loss was substantial on both

here is some info for reference. I know that redneckengineering had a good thread similar to this a while back with a lot of good numbers... the dyno would hurt a lot of peoples feelings with their 6.0 with a texas speed cam

- The SBC was dynoed at the engine builder at over 500 HP at the crank (with a carb)
o ATK Engines Chevy 383
o Splayed 6 bolt mains
o 11.5/1 compression
o Brodix ported heads
o Roller cam/roller rocker combo

- same engine with Holley FI only put down 197 HP to the rear tires (TH400, Atlas, Gearworks 10" 5.43 and 42" treps) on 93 octane

so now my engine is being pulled to be built with a bigger cam and some more goodies because less than 200 hp at the wheels is just unacceptable! :****:

the LS that he done was mild

07 LQ4 6.0
Block Hugger Headers
LS2 intake, throttle body, MAF, and injectors
stock internals
running through a TH400, atlas, 14 bolt with 5.13's and 39" krawlers it made 230 HP at the wheels.

I can tell you that the SBC i have now seems a good bit stronger than the 6.0 that I had, but the dyno numbers show otherwise. Looking at what the 6.0 should have made at the crank VS what I know my SBC made at the crank the seat of the pants feel makes sense (SBC has 100 more HP)

So, I said all that to say this... you can't always judge an engine by the dyno numbers :stir:

EOR Racing Dyno Session

Defender Buggy Dyno tune
I didn't want to turn this into an ls vs sbc thread but I 100% agree with you. Me and pete deck were talking about this last night. I don't know if it's rpm of torque ranges or what but a small block just feels like it's doing much more work than an ls. And for just pure toughness you can't beat the small block.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with that. And that's coming from a working on both engines regularly stance. I think it has to do with the torque range as well.

I worked on a low mileage 96 vortec the other day and was surprised how much get up and go it had for what it was. I still like an LS more though. :popcorn:

My L92 is estimated to be around 550 at the crank, torque comes on early and stays nice and level. Put down 280hp/278tq with 40" treps, th350, atlas, 4.56 gears on a 90 degree day with a super safe 12 afr and more timing to go (very fresh, told him to keep it safe). It'll be going back to get dialed in prior to koh, it now has 5.43 gears though. 50% loss is the standard #.

From the threads on pirate about it when KOH first came around, 40 % is the number if you don't want to do the work, up to 45% depending on tires and whatnot. Again, always depends heavily on what type of dyno you're using. Wish there were more dyno's out there that hooked to the hub via the lugstuds so you tune post drivetrain but take tire funkiness out of the equation

In my experience a stock 6.0 with a cam is in the 3-325 to the ground. Lq9/lq4 that's 2 firsthand accounts and talking with a couple others.

pholmann said:
Chassis dyno I assume? What's the specs?

I'm assuming this was a engine dyno? Paperwork was in a folder when i bought the jeep. It's just a 6.0, with a cam to my knowledge. I didn't know the loss of power through the drivetrain was that great, until I saw everyones number.

DallasBlade said:
I'm assuming this was a engine dyno? Paperwork was in a folder when i bought the jeep. It's just a 6.0, with a cam to my knowledge. I didn't know the loss of power through the drivetrain was that great, until I saw everyones number.
If it's from when trip had it done lane Culver did it but I don't know what size tires were on it

6.0 LQ4
custom grind cam from Comp Cams
Texas Speed heads (milled/ported)
headers/dyno tuned

pretty solid guess it's making in the 525 range. the dyno #s were with 35s.
D60/14b, th350, atlas 3.8, 5.38s......
it runs fairly strong

Lets see a full pic of these sheets, some look like the lines do not cross, if they do not cross at 5,250 then the sheets are bogus.

Elliott said:
Lets see a full pic of these sheets, some look like the lines do not cross, if they do not cross at 5,250 then the sheets are bogus.

People do not realize you can make a dyno say what you want it too. :****: