• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How do you put a W56 Trans in a 81 toy pickup

Ed Bister

We just got a W56 trans and transfercase out 1985 pickup pickup and it's about 4 inchs longer were the crossmember lines up. do you have to relocate the crossmember? And do i have to use the crossmember out of the 1985? Is there any other way to swap bell housings or something to make it fit in the stock crossmember location?

Has anyone tried to install a w56 trans and Xcase into an older 1981 pickup?

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give us! :beer:

It's wider at that point in the fram and the 1981 crosmember is not wide enough

Would the crossmember out of the 1985 be wider?

Did you talk to Mike about that? I think thats what he has.. if so, ask him for measurements:awesomework:..

We just got a W56 trans and transfercase out 1985 pickup pickup and it's about 4 inchs longer were the crossmember lines up. do you have to relocate the crossmember? And do i have to use the crossmember out of the 1985? Is there any other way to swap bell housings or something to make it fit in the stock crossmember location?

Has anyone tried to install a w56 trans and Xcase into an older 1981 pickup?

Thanks for any and all help anyone can give us! :beer:

Yup--a few times.. I have just built custom crossmembers...

Oh to add--it was not a bolt in deal... But an easy install...

what if i welded 6 inches of 2x2 angle in the inside of the frame, cut the extra steel off the X member so it slides up in the frame drill and bolted it up then it could be removed without a grinder? Thats an idea i got from a friend. What do you think about that idea?

do you have a link to boosted's build?

Thanks Crash!!:awesomework:

I called trailgear they only have a dual case crossmember not a single case x member.

I did find that thread about the mounts Crash built, but it was started by boosted not Crash so I had to look awhile to find it. That is exactally what we are going to try in do I think but with the stock x member.

has anyone built custom cross members and do you have pics?

Does anyone else have any advice or easy tricks?

:beer:

Last edited: