• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How hard would it be to make a spool?

If you had a machine shop and the skill, how hard would it be to make a spool for a chrysler 8.25 rear axle?

What do they cost?

Some things are just not worth it--but it can be done if you have the right machienery

Well I think they are all cast steel so you would need more then a machine shop. But if you wanted to buy a large chunk of steel and turn it down wasting most of the base material and be 3 or 4 times the cost of buying one then sure go for it.

arent spools like a $100 or so?

it would take more money then that to set up the machine after you already had the design.

definately not cost effective

weld it:flipoff:

weld3.jpg

Weld the side gears to the carrier.. slip the pin in... tack the spiders to the side gears and carrier... make sure the pin still slides in and out so you can pull the axles..

OK, this is how I make spools:
1)Pull the cover (or 3rd mem.) and drain the fluid
2) Get a Q-tip or a reasonable facsimile and some acetone
3) clean JUST the area that U will be welding. (leaving the gear oil on the rest helps keep splatter from sticking)
4) Weld the side gears to the carrier, weld the pin gears to the side gears AND to the carrier
5) Blast it all with brake-cleen and check for dingle balls
6) Replace cover (or 3rd member), re-fill with fluid and go kick some ass:cheer: :redneck: :cheer:
This method has worked VERRY well for me for many years& diffs:awesomework: