• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how long has your synthetic rope lasted

runner over

on average how long has your synthetic winch rope lasted ? wich is better? brand,.... rope or cable? :corn: :corn:

well im sure if you have a jeep your using your winch alot more so it doesnt last that long so im just asking for an average...........:fawkdancesmiley:

I lost track of how many years I have on my rope. It's starting to get raped but still way better than cable.

Cable works great for trail work parties and creating bypass blockage...installing it on a winch leaves something to be desired.

how is rope better than cable? just curios. i run cable on my 8274 and have no issues with it. the only time ive seen winch rope in action it snapped twice. so i wasnt all that impressed.

Last edited:
Yes rope breaks.

Rope doesn't:
1. kink
2. Snap back and kill people when it does break
3. fray
4. require the use of gloves when handling due to #3

and it spools onto winch easier as it is more pliable and weighs less than the same amount of cable.

How is cable better than rope?

7 year old Masterpull 5/16"x125 feet with locking hook. This is the second winch that the line has been on. First was a Milemarker E8000. Now on a Smitty 8000 winch. Boy the stuff has gotten expensive since I bought mine back in 2001.

Doesn't rope have a better weight rating as well?

yeah rope is stronger then steel cable.

3/8" amsteel blue breaks at 19.9k lbs
1/2" amsteel blue breaks at 34k lbs

its also 1/6 the weight and doesn't rust.

Ropes also very easy to splice. ~10 min with a swedish fid and sharp knife.

I have had my rope on my 8274 since January 2006. I have pulled a few folks out and had to pull myself out a few times too. I got 125' of Viking Winch line for x-mas. It is sun faded now and that is about it. My ex-girlfriend was on a run with me and saw how bad of shape my cable was in. And after having to be the winch bitch she decided she liked rope better.

Back in the day there was about a 13 page thread on SNORT and there is one over on JU too. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686380&highlight=rope+cable

Old school is cable (Still using tin cans and string) New school is rope (Cell phone)
Both have their merits but in the end for safety rope wins.

Last edited:
I have had my rope on my 8274 since January 2006. I have pulled a few folks out and had to pull myself out a few times too. I got 125' of Viking Winch line for x-mas. It is sun faded now and that is about it. My ex-girlfriend was on a run with me and saw how bad of shape my cable was in. And after having to be the winch bitch she decided she liked rope better.

Back in the day there was about a 13 page thread on SNORT and there is one over on JU too. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686380&highlight=rope+cable

Old school is cable (Still using tin cans and string) New school is rope (Cell phone)
Both have their merits but in the end for safety rope wins.

Couldn't have said it better myself Rick!!!:awesomework:

I think the only negative thing about rope is when it gets slightly pinched and winds itself on the drum the wrong way. No biggy if you watching it, Sometimes it pinches hard and ya have to stand on it to free it..

There are too many advantages to not run rope.

Well I have to say I have gone through a far bit of rope this summer, Cutting it on rocks and on blunt edges on my frame. I reallyneed to clean up the area around my winch so I quit cutting the rope. I think I have used wasted about 30 feet of rope this last summer.

I put 150' on my Warn 10k and it works well, I got it because it is easier to handle and my daughters go wheeling with me alot so no gloves needed. It got a pretty good test at TTCW when I had to pull myself and teamate up the towing challenge, his jeep weighs about 6k, and no problems. :awesomework:

I have 90 ft of 3/8" Viking Trail Line. It has been used a lot, and done many very hard pulls. The line itself looks like brand new when cleaned up. I got it in silver, so it hasn't faded. The abrasion protector is pretty much shot though, so I need to get a new one of those. I think they run about $15 - well worth it to protect the winch line.

It's two years old now...

My abrasion protector got shredded one one of the first few pulls and i had to cut it off. So far the rope has not been cut or frayed at all.

I went ahead and yanked my steel cable this time around, so now I have no excuse or reason not to buy rope. The aluminum fairlead is even mounted up.

I'm so sick of twisted, kinked, frayed hard to spool on steel cable.

How many feet of 3/8" are you guys spooling on your 8274's?