• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How many folks here run a modified camshaft?

Whats your take on Nitriding flat tappet camshafts? I know the lubricating oil these days has seriously cut back on Zinc/phosphor (ZDDP) levels in the additive package and Nitriding is a way to combat lobe wear. Does Delta plan on offering this process? I've been using diesel oils, Delo 10/30 or 15/40 that is not LE formulated. I really don't want to run a expensive "race" oil or have to find or order special additives when I change my oil. So I'm leaning to a roller cam for my next build.

do you offer off the shelf or custom roller cam grinds?

This thread is in the Tech section. I am here only to discuss. Nothing put forth was in any way ment to be against you or the company you represent.

I am always willing to learn new things. Maybe all of us can learn a little bit about cams here. :awesomework:

In the quote it was said that he didn't have an outright dislike but a preference for a new cam. We both recognize new manufactured parts, especially OEM factory new parts tend to be manufactured to a higher degree of quality. I will say it again, they TEND to be. The company you work for is used by most machine shops I know of and you offer a very good quality product. Still a purpose built cam for the application I think would be preferable.

I fully recognize all the factors that determine cam life. Quality of oil, brand of oil, the changes in formulation, proper start-up depending on engine type, and certain engines propensity to wear cams.

I don't want to argue every point here but can you explain. When you regrind a stock cam back to stock lift does it not make the apex sharper? And if so that has NO effect on longevity? Can you educate us on how a performace cam is made from a stock cam if what was quoted was wrong?

As for hardening, Yes flame is old terminology for "heat" or "induction" hardening. Where an electomagnet is used to create heat on the surface of the cam. Then it is quenched. I would assume the method used at your facility is a system called Traverse Hardening. The question I have in my mind is how this is applied and when in the grinding process.

It all boils down to cams DO fail. I KNOW most of the time it is user error. However In my experiences I have seen more reground performance cams fail than others. Why I have no idea. So for me I will use very good condition stock used cams or brand new cams. But that is just my opinion. :beer:

Induction heating is used when we weld. It is not neccessary to do so on a normal regrind. When doing stock regrinds the lobe is not reformed. As a matter of fact, it is an exact duplicate with generally only a few thousandths on an inch of material removed. Performance regrinds can have the lobe reshaped. Depending on the profile of the starting core. We can use a rockwell hardness tester to show hardness before and after grinding. When regrinding a cam it is essential to use new lifters to insure a good mating surface for reliablity and proper break in.

I know that cams fail. New unused billets and castings. Reground used cores as well. Feel free to call every major engine rebuilder in the state of Washington and ask them who grinds their cams. Ask them what their cam failure rate is. There are people who will not install a used cam. That is just fine. I carry brand new cores just for them. I will sell them exactly what they want. I also have customers who will not install a new one for just the opposite reasons. One thing to consider is that the used cam has already been proven as a good piece. The new one has never been in a motor and is an unknown commodity.

A small comparison to consider... when you buy a "new" cast iron skillet what do you have to do before it is used for cooking? It isn't good for cooking until it has been seasoned, right? Yes, a different situation completely but you get the idea.

There are hundreds of opinions regarding cams. Some are formed with good information, some are not. It really doesn't matter which you subscribe to. We have a cam for everyones want, desire or opinion. No hard feelings at all. Just try not to force your opinion on everyone else. Give them all the available information and let them make their own decisions.

Ken

Whats your take on Nitriding flat tappet camshafts? I know the lubricating oil these days has seriously cut back on Zinc/phosphor (ZDDP) levels in the additive package and Nitriding is a way to combat lobe wear. Does Delta plan on offering this process? I've been using diesel oils, Delo 10/30 or 15/40 that is not LE formulated. I really don't want to run a expensive "race" oil or have to find or order special additives when I change my oil. So I'm leaning to a roller cam for my next build.

do you offer off the shelf or custom roller cam grinds?

We are looking into it as it is the newest technology in fighting cam wear and failure. We currently use a parco treatment which lightly etches the cam and provides a better surface for oil to cling to and which aids in break in. We also have a very good additive that is very easy to use and is not that expensive when compared to "racing" oils. ZDDPlus is one of several additives that we sell. it is a 4oz bottle that is just added to your traditional oil. Use 1 bottle at break in then 1/2 to 1 bottle every other oil change to supplement your system. There have been zero negative feedback towards this product and I even use it in my personal vehicles.

I do appreciate you point on roller cams. Much easier to do, no break in to mess with. Just as much performance but a little spendier. We have every comp roller profile as well as a bunch of others. What do you have in mind?

Ken

"Just try not to force your opinion on everyone else" :eeek:

I'm not forcing anything on anyone. :booo:

I was asking you to explain a few questions and concern I had. But I think your taking this as an attack more so I will leave ya alone.

:beer:

"Just try not to force your opinion on everyone else" :eeek:

I'm not forcing anything on anyone. :booo:

I was asking you to explain a few questions and concern I had. But I think your taking this as an attack more so I will leave ya alone.

:beer:
I apologize if I came across harshly. Just seemed that with every answer came another concern. I do not have any problem explaining the processes. As a matter of fact. If you have some time come down and I will give you a tour and show you the whole process.

I apologize if I came across harshly. Just seemed that with every answer came another concern. I do not have any problem explaining the processes. As a matter of fact. If you have some time come down and I will give you a tour and show you the whole process.

Now that would be cool.

By the way on a 22R/22RE Do you sell reconditioned rocker arm assemblies? With a reground cam with this design can a person use their old assembly without reconditioning it? Or do they need a new/reconditioned one?

Now that would be cool.

By the way on a 22R/22RE Do you sell reconditioned rocker arm assemblies? With a reground cam with this design can a person use their old assembly without reconditioning it? Or do they need a new/reconditioned one?

I have seen it both ways. I recommend that you either replace the rockers or the assembly with new or reconditioned. Most important that you have two good surfaces when breaking in the cam. The biggest issue is that the worn adjusters cause significant noise if they are not trued up properly.

We sell them both ways.

I do appreciate you point on roller cams. Much easier to do, no break in to mess with. Just as much performance but a little spendier. We have every comp roller profile as well as a bunch of others. What do you have in mind?

Ken

I just installed a Comp retro fit roller in a friends 454. he ordered it from summit and it took 3 weeks to get here :eeek: It was a mild profile (218/224 @.050 .510 lift 112* LSA) I figured it wasn't that popular and thats why it took so long. I wish I knew about Delta sooner. He wants to build a smallblock chev on propane next so thanks for the info and I'll defiantely contact you when I need a cam for it Plus I'll let the eastsiders know about Delta.:awesomework:

I just installed a Comp retro fit roller in a friends 454. he ordered it from summit and it took 3 weeks to get here :eeek: It was a mild profile (218/224 @.050 .510 lift 112* LSA) I figured it wasn't that popular and thats why it took so long. I wish I knew about Delta sooner. He wants to build a smallblock chev on propane next so thanks for the info and I'll defiantely contact you when I need a cam for it Plus I'll let the eastsiders know about Delta.:awesomework:

Thanks, not to throw salt in that wound but... we could have done it for less money and in a day or two. Just food for thought. We have done a couple propane conversion cams. That should be an easy one.

Thanks, not to throw salt in that wound but... we could have done it for less money and in a day or two. Just food for thought. We have done a couple propane conversion cams. That should be an easy one.

When the time comes I'll contact you. Thanks :beer:

Thanks for the calls, questions and to all the people who have already taken advantage of this offer so far.

Ken
Delta Cam
1-800-562-5500

Hi there Ken!!

Iam running a RV cam in my 90 XJ, it sure woke that 4.0 up for me!!:awesomework:

Delta has great customer service and very reliable products:awesomework:

I will be a customer for life..