• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to right a ship for 10 million dollars

C

Cole

Yes I am a cross posting whore. I stole this from General chit chat on pirate.
Pretty cool stuff - Ship (Cougar Ace) is carrying 4,703 Mazda cars in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska has a ballast accident and tips on its side. $103 Million in cargo, $100 million dollar ship that is sitting on its side. A crew comes in for $10 million dollars and rights the ship.

It's a long read but they did a great job of telling the story. I can only imagine what that job would be like.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-03/ff_seacowboys?currentPage=all#

All that work and time and the death of a friend to end up shredding all 4,000+ cars is just crazy.
I would have taken some of the cars and signed a waiver or something.

Damn that sounds like a hard but bad ass thrilling job. Money doesnt sound too bad either.

Faxing a resume tonight.
That's a great way to think about salvaging a ship. In the past the Dutch method was about all there was.
Bring another boat with big pumps and air bags.

i didn't see (read) the part where they had to scrap all the cars....

i did read the grizzly details of the guy that fell and hit his head 80ft down and hit his head on one of those huge winches....

off and on took me all afternoon to read that article, but well worth it.

Lou it was the very last of the article where they scrapped the cargo.

they lose one empoyee a year....consistently....nto for me....but a $10million payday seems nice....wonder what their investment in 'righting' the ship was?

under_psi said:
wonder what their investment in 'righting' the ship was?

Exactly, they had tugs, and ships, and you have to pay the Coast Guard, plus all that expediated travel, etc.... I bet it was a good chunk of change, but still....dude died.