• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how to shave weight on rocks????

Ya the rc rock crawl comp is Saturday so sunday should be traffic free, I have a back log of shop work to get
Done but a day of wheelin at Rausch is always nice so I'll see if I can swing it, I will let ya know for sure if I am or arnt coming Saturday sometime, you still got the same number?

Rockwells607 said:
Ya the rc rock crawl comp is Saturday so sunday should be traffic free, I have a back log of shop work to get
Done but a day of wheelin at Rausch is always nice so I'll see if I can swing it, I will let ya know for sure if I am or arnt coming Saturday sometime, you still got the same number?
Yes sir.

fl-krawler said:
I acheived a 40lb weight reduction on my rockwell housings by having the knuckles machined and drilled, and the housings retubed with 1/4" wall square tube
002_162.jpg

008_156.jpg

I also made a switch to super 8 hubs which are 9lbs lighter per hub. That alone is worth 58lbs per axle total. In the next week or so, I will be purchasing a set of 16 spline gun drilled shafts, which should drop another 5-7lbs per shaft. I have caught alot of **** for choosing to go this route, but in the end I feel it will be worth it, and if it doesnt work or prove to be reliable, its easy to go back to a conventional setup. Even with all the cash I have thrown at my axles, I will still be arguably stronger and lighter than a stock rockwell, and have considerably less cash invested compared to alot of the bling hybrid axles out right now.
Did you run these? How did they hold up?

Eddyj said:
Did you run these? How did they hold up?

Not my personal set, but I have done 3 sets for other people who have beat the ever loving piss out of their axles on their mega trucks with no issues

After finishing my buggy and driving it I say just debrake a Rockwell and forget about lightening it up unless you're building a race buggy. For recreational wheeling my new v8 Rockwell buggy on 44s handles better than my last v6 yota axle buggy on 39s.

I wonder what the custom rocks under Thorsons ultra4 rig weigh, I think the only thing "rockwell" in them anymore are the chunks.

*pic for those who haven't seen it
12145226_763602603762922_2094234160_n.jpg