• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hows everyone getting the air pocket out of their LS with rear radiator?

Vacuum filler tool makes this all day jack the buggy up and screw with it to get bled thing a less than 5 minute process. After buying one I never fill any cooling system with out using it.

redneckengineered said:
This is gonna blow y'alls minds but I run my buggy with all the steam ports blocked and it never overheats. Did it in a pinch to get running years ago when the buggy was new and never had the need to change it. That being said, go ahead and plumb it into the water pump there as that is a good way to do it. No need running it back all the way to the radiator. Have you tried calling Adam? He built your chassis and knows all the tricks for getting the air out. I know when he fills the system at his shop he uses a vacuum pump.

I've seen some guys get away without it and others have ungodly issues… I can't explain it but if you're having the issue, plumbing in the ports will fix it..

Another vote here for plumbing a "T" into the the front steam ports and down to the water pump. Just drain the system, and stick a shop vac in/over the top outlet of the pump when you drill it. This will catch your shavings. When you break through. Then use grease on your tap to catch those shavings.

I didn't see which style thermostat you are running. If you have the one piece assembly, I can tell you what fixed the air issues for a buddy and myself. There is a one way check ball in the thermostat housing. It is held in place by a very small steel ring that is pressed into the aluminum housing. I just used a pick, and pulled the little ring out so I could remove the check ball. This will allow a little bit of water to always flow, which will help push the air out. (or fill the air pockets, however you want to look at it) It will not noticeably slow down warm up of the engine, and the thermostat will still open and close at correct temps. Use this combined with the "T" plumbed to the water pump, and I bet your cooling issue will be resolved. No need for special filling tools either.

If you have the two piece thermostat, I think you could just drill a small hole in the outer diameter of the actual thermostat to do the same thing. Not sure if the housing has a check ball that is removable on it since I haven't seen one.

I did the "t" on front steam ports and routed to outlet side of water pump. An extra little insurance that I did was add a Schrader valve into the water pump right next to where steam ports tie into the water pump. Makes it real easy to bleed and check whenever you run it..good luck.

May have missed it, but have you tried raising the rear end up high and letting the air move to the radiator and venting/filling at the radiator with the rear raised?

redneckengineered said:
This is gonna blow y'alls minds but I run my buggy with all the steam ports blocked and it never overheats. Did it in a pinch to get running years ago when the buggy was new and never had the need to change it. That being said, go ahead and plumb it into the water pump there as that is a good way to do it. No need running it back all the way to the radiator. Have you tried calling Adam? He built your chassis and knows all the tricks for getting the air out. I know when he fills the system at his shop he uses a vacuum pump.

I'd say that has a lot to do with the size and cooling ability of your radiator. A big enough radiator can overcome it where you'll see problems on a rig that has a smaller radiator. For instance on my rig the biggest radiator I can possibly fit is a 22x19. That's really undersized but it's all I can fit. If I blocked my steam ports I'd say mine would overheat almost immediately. I'll probably be pushing it as it is.

My rear steam ports are blocked and the front are tied together and connected to one side of the throttle body with a bleeder on the other side. I had trouble getting the air out but no problems since.

redneckengineered said:
I believe I have nearly all of the air out now. I used a vacuum pump and filled every hole I could find the first time I fired her up and it took a little time but got never had a cooling problem until I had the nose in the air for while. I have the same bigass Griffin radiator and WOD AN thermostat housinhg as you. It probably won't ever give me any trouble again but I have the T style steam port kit as well as a bleeder valve for the water pump on the way for good insurance.

You do have a thermostat in it rite? I didn't and never could bleed mine. Added one and drilled a hole in it also, once I did that it did fine.

I stand mine on the front 2 tires and fill with the cap off. Knock on wood one bad radiator cap and that's the only problems 1 year and 10 hard rides with the cooling.