• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hummer h3

Rockwells607

Lookin to buy one for my wife...it will never get wheeled, just a family truckster...looked at some 2006 models and 07 and see the motor is different 3.5-3.7 ....is there anything major i need to ck with these or issues they are known to have when lookin at used vehicles? Any input apreciated, thanks -NT

Rockwells607 said:
Lookin to buy one for my wife...it will never get wheeled, just a family truckster...looked at some 2006 models and 07 and see the motor is different 3.5-3.7 ....is there anything major i need to ck with these or issues they are known to have when lookin at used vehicles? Any input apreciated, thanks -NT

I'm assuming the 3.5 or 3.7 is the 5-cylinder motor correct? Not spent anytime around the H3's but know some about the 5-cylinders they put in the Canyon and Colorado.

Friend of mine had an 06 green h3 with the 5 banger in it and had some sort of engine problems out of it, but I can't remember what it was. Might have been an electronic type issue. All I remember is it spent a few days at the dealership, but I think they got it worked out.

I hated mine. With the 5 cly it had no power,sucked on mpg, hard to see out of, and I hardly ever drove it cause i was so cramped under the steering wheel. Bought the thing brand new and convinced the wife we needed to trade it after only having it 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.

From what I've gather they had some head problems in the early models...typically showed itself within 15,000 miles....other than that most complaints I've heard are the blinde spots and smaller cabin, we are also considering a 4 door jeep, they are under powered as well so I guess it might just come down to the deal I find...any other input appreciated, thanks

Rockwells607 said:
From what I've gather they had some head problems in the early models...typically showed itself within 15,000 miles....other than that most complaints I've heard are the blinde spots and smaller cabin, we are also considering a 4 door jeep, they are under powered as well so I guess it might just come down to the deal I find...any other input appreciated, thanks

Regarding the 3.5's or 3.7's, I have a good buddy of mine that works as a mechanic for a Chevrolet and GMC dealership and his advice to me was to avoid the 3.5's like the plague. He said that a few were ok, but that most were bad, hence why they replaced the 3.5 with the 3.7 so soon.

They are underpowered and get bad gas mileage overall, but if you are looking at one of the JK's then power isn't much better.

Yep, also remember my buddy always complaining about the shitty gas mileage too. I'm sure it's not as bad as an H2, but you know lol

I'd recommend 07 and up or a alpha if you can afford it. The 06 and backs are anemic. They seem to be really reliable, and may still have some remaining powertrain warranty. A word of warning though, Most interior and body parts are already becoming very hard to get!!!