• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hunters!!!

You need one of these before to long....SIG556. Just bought it the other night.:beer: :cool:

Attachments

• 1120081848.jpg
    1120081848.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 1120081950.jpg
    1120081950.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 160
Chris I have a browning 300 winchester mag.That is the only rifle I will use big game hunting. Never fails and its a big enough caliber to drop anything you will hunt.Its dumped bear an lots of muley's.Now I'm looking into a grizzley bear hunt for my dad and I.

Great thread, I'm in the same dilema right now, thinking of getting a 2nd rifle (have been using a 30.06 Browning a-bolt for the last couple of years) that has less drop at distance. The 300 WSM seems to be the "hot" rifle right now, but it's been interesting to hear what the rest of you think. I'm thinking about doing a guided trip for elk/deer up in BC next year. I did caribou in Quebec with my dad and uncle a couple years ago.

Shot placement is more important than caliber for a quick and humane kill.

I use a 270 for deer and elk and a will take a 500 yard shot with out blinking an eye. Droped my deer this year from 350 yards right where it stood (well it took 3 steps before it fell).

If i were to hunt moose or grizzly bear, i would use a 300 mag. I have always wanted one.

Got my elk this yr with my .270!!!I agree that placement is more important than caliber of rifle, although for moose, I'd likely opt for a larger caliber, like you mentioned Pete...

I also shoot a .270. Taken deer, elk, bear etc with it, no problem. Shot placement is 99% of the battle. You can be shooting a cannon and hit it in the leg and still not knock it down. My .270 will constantly shoot 1.5-2" groups at 500yds.
mgun.gif

hunting.gif

Just remember the higher the velocity the more blood shock you will get, I have taken a lot of animals over the years with both a .270 and a 30.06, I prefer the 30.06 because you have a lot more choices when it comes to choosing the grain (110-250) I shoot a 140gr for deer, and 180gr for elk. If you learn your weapon and ballistics you can shoot good distances with any decent rifle. The longest shot I have taken with the 30.06 was around 500 yrds, but it drops about 15 inches in that distance, also the army used to use the 30.06 as a sniper weapon.

For all you .270 hunters, check out this :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28005680/

If they were "well placed shots" that deer would of never gotten up. I've shot deer, bear, and elk with the .270, all have been one shot kills. I have never had to shoot an animal more than once.
hunting.gif

If they were "well placed shots" that deer would of never gotten up. I've shot deer, bear, and elk with the .270, all have been one shot kills. I have never had to shoot an animal more than once.
hunting.gif
def NOT well placed shots in that article.
AND the guy was a dumbass..."it looked dead" haha, friggin moron...

a .270 is MORE than sufficient.

Fast flat and accurate
7mm.

On the lead sled rest at 400 yards mine has a 4 inch grouping
with reloads.

Me holding it,,,,, well, I guess I wont ever take a shot much over 300
:redneck:

Bought a 300 WSM last year. Win Mod 70 Coyote Lite, stainless w/ fluted barrel, B&C stock.
Shoots good.
I load 180gr Nosler Accubonds, w/ IMR 4064.
Not sighted real high, but drops 37" at 500, w/ zero hold.
Killed this at 380yds, laser ranged, in heavy gusting winds.
DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

30-06. Affordable, common, and you can load or get them loaded for everything from thin skinned dear to North American big game. Dangerous african game would require something with a bigger knockdown.

Screw the long range cartridges, just get a big magnum. At least a 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag, but for Moose (or Bear), I'd go with a 375 H&H. If you're particularly big and burly, you might even go with a 378 Weatherby. I like the 375 better than the 378 because ammo is MUCH more affordable (even when reloading).

That concludes my 2 cents.

I second the 7 mag- flat shooting accurate as hell... short mags are cool too though

ive got a 7mm rem mag. it shoots flat and has good knock down...but i kick myself in the ass for sellin my winchester model 70 .338 mag. that was my favorite gun...bills had to be paid lol

30-06. Affordable, common, and you can load or get them loaded for everything from thin skinned dear to North American big game. Dangerous african game would require something with a bigger knockdown.

My Grandfather used to swear by a 30.06...Moose, Elk, Bear and whatever else.

Of course he used to swear by dynomite for fishing too :redneck: