• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hunters!!!

4xjunkie

Looking at different guns for long range hunting.

Condsidering the 300 WSM or the 300 Ultra Mag (RUM).

Edit: One thing about the 300 RUM is that Remington offers three different power levels, level 1 = 30-06, level 2 = 300 Win Mag, and level 3 = 300 Ultra Mag, so depending on what I was shooting.

Anybody shoot or own these???

Just wondering about thoughts of your use with them.

Last edited:
Well right now, I looking up to Moose, I doubt I will go with bear, but you never know.

Screw the long range cartridges, just get a big magnum. At least a 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag, but for Moose (or Bear), I'd go with a 375 H&H. If you're particularly big and burly, you might even go with a 378 Weatherby. I like the 375 better than the 378 because ammo is MUCH more affordable (even when reloading).

That concludes my 2 cents.

Shot placement is more important than caliber for a quick and humane kill.

I use a 270 for deer and elk and a will take a 500 yard shot with out blinking an eye. Droped my deer this year from 350 yards right where it stood (well it took 3 steps before it fell).

If i were to hunt moose or grizzly bear, i would use a 300 mag. I have always wanted one.

Shot placement is more important than caliber for a quick and humane kill.

I use a 270 for deer and elk and a will take a 500 yard shot with out blinking an eye. Droped my deer this year from 350 yards right where it stood (well it took 3 steps before it fell).

If i were to hunt moose or grizzly bear, i would use a 300 mag. I have always wanted one.

Got my elk this yr with my .270!!!I agree that placement is more important than caliber of rifle, although for moose, I'd likely opt for a larger caliber, like you mentioned Pete...

I shoot a Model 70 in 30-06 and haven't had a single issue. One of my buddies shoots a Remm 7mm Ultra Mag. Has great success with one shot long range kills. Another buddie shoots a Win 300 Ultra Mag and easily takes down his 2 bear and one elk every year. Every hunter is going to give you a different answer so I would just do as much research you can on the ballistics of each and go from there. My $.02 :beer:

I also shoot a .270. Taken deer, elk, bear etc with it, no problem. Shot placement is 99% of the battle. You can be shooting a cannon and hit it in the leg and still not knock it down. My .270 will constantly shoot 1.5-2" groups at 500yds.
mgun.gif

hunting.gif

i love my tika t3 lite 300 short mag...wouldn'y have it any other way...$530 with rings and bases....get r done!:beer:

Just remember the higher the velocity the more blood shock you will get, I have taken a lot of animals over the years with both a .270 and a 30.06, I prefer the 30.06 because you have a lot more choices when it comes to choosing the grain (110-250) I shoot a 140gr for deer, and 180gr for elk. If you learn your weapon and ballistics you can shoot good distances with any decent rifle. The longest shot I have taken with the 30.06 was around 500 yrds, but it drops about 15 inches in that distance, also the army used to use the 30.06 as a sniper weapon.

I shoot a 300 win. mag. Their isnt anything in this state it wont bring down with one shot, I'm a 1 shot 1 kill kind of guy. I have taken, 8 deer, 2 elk, and bear, and half a doz. yotes,( with my 300) and have never put a second shot in any of those animals. I love that gun:awesomework:

BOW HUNTING, The ultimate hunting challenge.........
:awesomework:

I'm heading out tommorow after work for the weekend.