• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro assist

Damnyankee

Ok, i want to go hydro assist on my rig.
I'm getting to the point that i'm worried about my pitman arm, and would like to try and take a little stress out of it.
I cannot get an aftermarket one.. I could beef up the one i have.. but not to much cause it will cause interferance issues.

Question is.

should i run a 1.5" bore? smaller? larger?
I will put in a larger resevoir (its remote so its pretty easy)
I can calculate the lenght needed and adjust if necessary.

I'm just not sure on the bore size.

Its a stock nissan pump, stock steering box.

I'm runing 38 x 12.5 sx's on bead locks if that makes any difference.

thanks any input is appreciated.:beer:

I have a rockstomper 1.5x8 hydro assist kit i'll sell you, NIB. $200. :awesomework:

Buy it and report back. :fawkdancesmiley:

Go figure, the steering box and pump look almost identical to toyota and even use the same sector shaft splines... Looks like I found another donor for steering boxes. :D

They are held on by 4 bolts, a little more beef:awesomework:

i can't use a longer pitman arm, as of right now i only have about 3/8" clearance when going straight. it gets better when i turn.. but thats the way it is.

I'm going to do all the mods myself. I have the right ups for the box and the pump.

but thanks for that.

as far as a ram, i can get a brand new kit from Psc for 160 bucks. including brakets, cylinder, heims..

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sc2221k-15-x-675-cylinder-assist-steering-cylinder-kit-p-750.html

I'll have to look around, but I swear I have seen the right up somewhere to tap the box. I believe its very similar to tapping a yota box. I also believe people have sent their box's off to redneck ram to get tapped. Let me snoop around an try an find that right up.:awesomework:

I thought Nissan's used rack and pinion steering? :fawkdancesmiley:

Go with a 1.5 ram with a 6" stroke. Unless you are running full width axles...TG has everything you'd need. It will be one of the best mods you will ever do to your rig. I know it was for me.

also. you are gonna want to re-think that stock pump idea. It will be very slooooow if you go that route.

Last edited:
I thought Nissan's used rack and pinion steering? :fawkdancesmiley:

Go with a 1.5 ram with a 6" stroke. Unless you are running full width axles...TG has everything you'd need. It will be one of the best mods you will ever do to your rig. I know it was for me.

also. you are gonna want to re-think that stock pump idea. It will be very slooooow if you go that route.

You've met me...
I'm pretty slow..:awesomework::beer:

i am full width, but due to steering limitations, i think that the 6" stroke is what i need. I'm out of town on business right now, but this is comming.

I have a spare pump, and steering box, so i'm going to modify them, and then just swap it all out.. less down time..

I wanna go wheeling damn it! :mad:

Bump. Yankee, did the stock pump work for you or did you mod? Hows the asist working for ya? Im in the midst of doing mine now.

still looking for a ram.

I could get a new one, but funds are tight right now.. and i'm going weeling..lol

just got word, i'm going to canada on monday for businees, so i have to try and piece my rig together so i can take it.. ****ing stoked.

the stock pump will be fine.. i know many people who have done this without issue.

Got my assist done, works good so far, well see when I go lay a wheel against a tree and lay into it.

Latest posts