• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro help

Did the pump make noise at all? Funny you ttt'd this, Sean called me Friday. We did the std hour and 15 minute conversation.

Personally im thinking your boiling the fluid or the pump doesnt have a adequate supply of fluid. Do you have high quality suction line? Maybee the line is getting sucked closed and cant pick up fluid?

So this weekend I desided to get a new stock pump. I cut the factory res apart and made it twice the size, 2qt. system now. I drained the etire system and flushed it out using the old pump. Installed the new pump and did some mods to the valve. I drilled it out to 5/32" for more flow at low rpms and then took out all the shims and put a 3mm washer under the spring. WOW!!! What a difference in pressure. I think If I stack one more 3mm washer under the spring and drill the hole out just a little more I will have it right. It has no lag at idle sitting still right now. Works great. Now I will just have to see how long it will last. I dont know why it would burn this pump up, I have a good size cooler sitting right in front of my rad getting good air flow. I guess time will tell.

Are you talking 3mm ID or 3mm thickness on the washer? If you are referring to thickness you are over working the pump to force it to move the tires that well at idle. Mine takes a bit of effort at idle but once I bump up the rpm it turns great. Been like that for 4 years...

Did the pump make noise at all? Funny you ttt'd this, Sean called me Friday. We did the std hour and 15 minute conversation.

Personally im thinking your boiling the fluid or the pump doesnt have a adequate supply of fluid. Do you have high quality suction line? Maybee the line is getting sucked closed and cant pick up fluid?

I just got off the phone and left him another message. I also PMed him on Pirate. I even said I know you and all that. Nothing yet. I would really like to talk to him. My fluid is getting really hot. My last pump lasted 3 trips and this one only lasted 1 trip. I didnt work it really that hard. It starts making a squak noise but not high pich when I turn, If I leave it strait it does fine. Low rpms its almost impossible to turn. I had to front dig my way home. All my line is the 3000psi steel mesh weatherhead stuff.

Also, if someone could draw or tell me where in my system the cooler should be for best cooling? I have it on my return line but I am having second thoughts. thats where I thought it went.

your suction line needs to be suction line, not high pressre hydraulic.

i've seen many times on other hydraulic systems people use pressure line in a suction situation, this can cause the inside liner to collapse and block off the fluid comming to the pump.

I dont think I have a suction line. My pump is inside the res. Its a stock setup. I fabbed a new res that is twice as big so it is a 2qt system now.The pump is inside the res.

I want to fix this but I dont know enough about hydro to know what it could be. I have been told my 2" ram is too small to push the 42s around and it over works the pump. I dont know if thats true. I have been told my pump ran dry, that is why I built a bigger res. I have been told the fluid gets too hot so I put a fan on the cooler. Still burt up this pump in a matter of 3-4 hours. WTF?

I want to fix this but I dont know enough about hydro to know what it could be. I have been told my 2" ram is too small to push the 42s around and it over works the pump. I dont know if thats true. I have been told my pump ran dry, that is why I built a bigger res. I have been told the fluid gets too hot so I put a fan on the cooler. Still burt up this pump in a matter of 3-4 hours. WTF?

i do hydraulics for a living. the only other thing i can think of, (and i don't know the specs on your pump) is that the oil you are using is not compatable. other than that.. everything seams like its in order.

I don't know if you can get it locally, but maybe try Mobile DTE 25.
(this is hydraulic awp 46 with very good antiwear properties)

I have been told my 2" ram is too small to push the 42s around and it over works the pump.

This part of the system isn't cut-n-dry. To answer your question a 2" ram is large enough to move the world if it has enough mechanical leverage along with it. It depends on the geometry of the linkage, length of the steering arms and such. It sounds to me like you may have over modded your new pump.

It sounds to me like you may have over modded your new pump.

I said that once but no one listens to me.... :haha:

If he used 1 3mm ID washer to shim the pump that shouldn't be a problem. If it was a 3mm THICK washer there is the issue. I have about 1 1/2mm of shims in mine and it works very well with a 2" ram.

Another thing, Maverick how many turns lock to lock do you have?

Its a 3mm ID washer. Only 1 in there now. I guess I would sand it down a little.

Rick, I can get you a measurement of the steering arms when I get home. I take it the longer they are the easier it is on the system? It looks to me like they are on the long side for arms but I will measure from the center of the king pin to the center of the link bolt.

1 little washer like that shouldn't puse a problem. I'm running 3 of them in a very thin variety. Those arms shouldn't be a problem. How many turns lock to lock are you?

I said that once but no one listens to me.... :haha:

I was agreeing with you but you're right that not too many listen.:flipoff:
I really don't know anything about modding the pumps but have heard of some people doing it successfully and sometimes it doesn't work out.

Trash, I am not sure off the top of my head how many turns lock to lock. I will have to report back on that one. I would be interested in where you got those really thin washers.

I was agreeing with you but you're right that not too many listen.:flipoff:
I really don't know anything about modding the pumps but have heard of some people doing it successfully and sometimes it doesn't work out.

Yea you're all heart... :haha:

The problem with most modded pumps is people read that it is the miracle cure for a **** setup. That's just not the case at all. If you have a tiny orbital or too small of a ram sure you can shim the balls out of the pump and make it work but at the expense of the pump. I run a ginormous filtered reservoir with a good sized cooler and if anything my steering valve is too small as I'm about 5 turns lock to lock on a 2x7" ram. My pump is modded for flow and pressure and it is NOT overmodded to make it whine or turn the tires with my pinky at idle.

Trash, I am not sure off the top of my head how many turns lock to lock. I will have to report back on that one. I would be interested in where you got those really thin washers.

Go to the local hobby shop and check out their stock of hardware. The local ACE type hardware store doesn't stock anything that light duty.

Latest posts