• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ID small chevy

I am not misunderstanding in the least.

1."A fuel with an Octane RIN of 92 can sustain 140 PSI before it starts to pre-detonate."

Binder- PRE-detonate is before spark form the plug has occured, so it is the pressure of the piston traveling towards TDC and the heat created by it. Those two things ALONE.
No it's not just those two things. This is the variable that you keep bringing up- quench- intercooling- chamber design- etc. But for the sake of this conversation the piston traveling argument is what's important here. Without going back and looking up the actual numbers discussed take for instance a engine with 11:1 static CR. At atmospheric pressure with no boost you get about 14.7 lbs in the cylinder before it's compressed. Compress it to 11:1 and you get 162 lbs before ignition- hopefully by a spark plug. Take that same engine and add 30PSI boost and you get 491 PSI in the cylinder before ignition. If the fuel used ignites before 491 PSI you have preignition.
This thread has some good info on this.

goddamn, all I wanted to know was the possibility of being able to identify a small block by the casting # stamped on it? Now I have to take a loan out to build a turbo setup:awesomework: yah, and I still have wood from watching those videos. I almost pissed my pants watching the sand truck video. that thing is so chunky, but I do have to say a four wheel drift-launch in that "P.O.S EVO" would be sick too.

Turbocharger design doesn't vary greatly between spark ignition and diesel (the exhaust side is bigger on a diesel than gas).
You mean to tell me that just by changing fuel the boost abilities and the compressor map change with NO physical changes to the turbo?

Do you also mean to tell me that an hx35 can make 35PSI on a 5.9l diesel, but not 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 PSI on a gas engine? Do you think the same turbo can do any of that on a 4 cylinder under 2.5l?

" You can't build an engine that produces enough exhaust gasses in order to spool up a turbo to 32 PSI. Or even 10 PSI, for that matter."

I didn't take that out of context or doctor it... do you agree with his statement here??
No I don't agree with this statement. The thing is in order to build this engine the parameters needed to spool said turbo would be such that preignition had probably already happened. Remember I'm not the one who said this so I'll let Lamar argue it.

I do not know, but I can tell you that NONE of them have a 10" inlet on the turbo and each of them have a larger outlet than 1".

...but even if they did I guess it wouldn't matter beacuse: " You can't build an engine that produces enough exhaust gasses in order to spool up a turbo to 32 PSI. Or even 10 PSI, for that matter."
...and I'm sure there was 10PSI involved in all of those except MAYBE the big block, but he was still putting boost to it with 88 OCTANE!
If you can't tell us the compression ratio and fuel used then these examples don't apply.

1. Lifting a head has nothing to do with fuel quality.
...I'll elaborate. Let's take an engine with forged internals, aluminium heads, MLS gaskets and head studs 8.5:1 and put 40PSI to it.
On E98 the engine lives right?
On 92 octane pump gas it runs fine until you get to too high of a boost level and then it starts to detonate and melts pistons, shatters rings and ring lands, but the head doesn't lift.
Now tell me how a diesel with 18:1 or better and 40PSI with STOCK gaskets and head BOLTS doesn't lift a head JUST BECAUSE IT'S DIESEL.
No what I'm saying is it doesn't preignite because it's a deisel. This conversation is about a SBC not and deisel.
[/QUOTE]

Turbocharger design doesn't vary greatly between spark ignition and diesel (the exhaust side is bigger on a diesel than gas).
You mean to tell me that just by changing fuel the boost abilities and the compressor map change with NO physical changes to the turbo?

Do you also mean to tell me that an hx35 can make 35PSI on a 5.9l diesel, but not 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 PSI on a gas engine? Do you think the same turbo can do any of that on a 4 cylinder under 2.5l?

" You can't build an engine that produces enough exhaust gasses in order to spool up a turbo to 32 PSI. Or even 10 PSI, for that matter."

I didn't take that out of context or doctor it... do you agree with his statement here??

No I don't agree with this statement. The thing is in order to build this engine the parameters needed to spool said turbo would be such that preignition had probably already happened. Remember I'm not the one who said this so I'll let Lamar argue it.

I'm not sure what portion you don't agree with, so I'll break it down into things that could be disagreed with to help my unterstanding.

1. Turbocharger design doesn't vary greatly between spark ignition and diesel (the exhaust side is bigger on a diesel than gas).
2. You mean to tell me that just by changing fuel the boost abilities and the compressor map change with NO physical changes to the turbo?
3. Do you also mean to tell me that an hx35 can make 35PSI on a 5.9l diesel, but not 15, 20, 25, 30 or 35 PSI on a gas engine?
4. Do you think the same turbo HX35 from a cummins) can do any of that on a 4 cylinder under 2.5l?
5. " You can't build an engine that produces enough exhaust gasses in order to spool up a turbo to 32 PSI. Or even 10 PSI, for that matter." -THAT WAS LAMAR'S STATEMENT
6. I didn't take that out of context or doctor it... do you agree with his statement here?? (the "do you agree with his statement here??" question can be disreguarded seeing as I broke that down)

If you can't tell us the compression ratio and fuel used then these examples don't apply.

Because I was disprooving THIS statement from LAMAR: "You can't build an engine that produces enough exhaust gasses in order to spool up a turbo to 32 PSI. Or even 10 PSI, for that matter. To produce 32 PSI of boost from a turbocharger would require an inlet over 10" in diameter with an outlet of less than 1" in diameter."

...and this one: "3.5 PSI in an SBC would be considered as a lot of boost, not overly much, but getting somewhat close to the edge of the engine's limits on 92 octane gasoline."

No what I'm saying is it doesn't preignite because it's a deisel. This conversation is about a SBC not and deisel.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't bring Diesel into this thread, LAMAR did with this jewel: "Even supercharged DIESEL engines don't come anywhere CLOSE to a 100:1 compression ratio! Get real please."

successful-troll-is-successful.jpg