• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

if you were going to? would you?

skipnrocks

If you were going to powder coat a buggy and you were building but wanted to wheel it till it got to cold (on account of never having gotten to) would you wheel it bare steel since the coater is going to sandblast it anyways or would you spray it down in some rustolium until your ready to have it powdered?

What's the turn around time on powder coat? I didn't think it took that long.

Personally I would wipe it down with wd40 once a week to keep it from rusting instead of disassembling it for rattle can.

skipnrocks said:
If you were going to powder coat a buggy and you were building but wanted to wheel it till it got to cold (on account of never having gotten to) would you wheel it bare steel since the coater is going to sandblast it anyways or would you spray it down in some rustolium until your ready to have it powdered?

This is what I am doing....it still ain't coated. Maybe this winter!

hitit
85toyo said:
What's the turn around time on powder coat? I didn't think it took that long.

Personally I would wipe it down with wd40 once a week to keep it from rusting instead of disassembling it for rattle can.

Turn around on powder is 3 or 4 days. I have been building this buggy on and off for years I figured rather than Finnish is then take it apart and putting it back together right away I would wheel it for the rest of the year till its too cold and then break it down over winter and have it coated and put back together. That would also allow me to change anything I wanted without having to grind and weld of new powder. I dont want to oil the chassis to prevent rust because then I would have to degrease it prior to powder. I figured I could probably get pretty good coverage with a can of paint if I needed too worry about rust but if it didnt matter I figured I would just leave it bare till paint.

Just finished a buggy and powder coated it before wheeling it. I would def wheel it a few times and don't even worry about paint, sand blaster will clean all surface rust. Figuring out tabs and things you missed (and you did trust me) are much better to add without grinding on some expensive powder coat.

skipnrocks said:

Where abouts are you located? That'll give us an idea of rust that you may have set in during your breakin time. Also do you store buggy inside or outside?

skipnrocks said:
hitit
Turn around on powder is 3 or 4 days. I have been building this buggy on and off for years I figured rather than Finnish is then take it apart and putting it back together right away I would wheel it for the rest of the year till its too cold and then break it down over winter and have it coated and put back together. That would also allow me to change anything I wanted without having to grind and weld of new powder. I dont want to oil the chassis to prevent rust because then I would have to degrease it prior to powder. I figured I could probably get pretty good coverage with a can of paint if I needed too worry about rust but if it didnt matter I figured I would just leave it bare till paint.

Smart idea on waiting to break it down until after wheeling season. As for being worried about oiling the chassis, any quality powder coater should be pre-baking your chassis to pull any oils out before it goes to powder. You're going to have impurities in the material no matter what before it gets powder coated; from touching it with your hands, old welding gloves, spilling fluids when you are filling everything up and anything that leaks when you wheel it. If your powder coater is just doing a chemical clean before powder I would check around and find some one that is going to bake it first, I've used both and the parts that are blasted and pre-baked definitely have superior adhesion. With that being said, I would just rattle can the thing because unless its a race car and constantly getting torn down and prepped during that wheeling season it will be a PITA to keep the oxidation in check, especially if you're anywhere east of the Mississippi.

ridered3 said:
Where about are you located? That'll give us an idea of rust that you may have set in during your breakin time. Also do you store buggy inside or outside?

I am in Montana. Stored in doors. We dont have much for humidity, and in the fall probably not much for rain.

ABJ custom powdercoating in Maryville,TN one day turn around at least that was it for us

Yeah its a little far but they do a good job and its fast but i understand the travel depending how far you are prolly wont save you any money or time, thought i would just give you another option.