• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ifs hub conversion

rover18

I'm building my front axle for my 85 toy pickup that has started from just the front housing and the driver side parts. I bought longfield axles, hub gears, Marlin 25mm pin upgrade and a knuckle seal and gasket kit that came with it. I heard that an ifs hub conversion can be done, but I have no idea what that entails. I need a new spindle, a hub and all brakes. Thanks for the input.

sky makes it.
it is a wheel spacer to set the rotor back to solid axles possition.
ifs hubs have the wheel mount position farther out on the hub to make up for the wide rear axle in later model trucks.
the spindle is the same bearings are the same and you can even use your old solid rotors if u wanted too.
fj 60 from 1984 are what to look for at auto store.
my best friend jeremy has them on his rig. the beauty is no wheel spacer at wms.
hope this helps.

That does help a lot. So can I go to a wrecking yard and pretty much find an 4wd ifs rig and use it as a donor??? Or is that what the FJ60 would be for?

Last edited:
i was wrong on the spindle, i forgot you have to use a early solid axle spindle, ifs hub and the fj60 is just the rotor cuz it has the right back spacing or you can just use the early solid rotors also. the bearings are the same though.

early solid axle spindle
fj60 or original solid axle rotor
ifs hub

So, the only advantage to this is that you don't have to run wheel spacers, correct?

~T.J.

So you can run an ifs wheel bearing hub, and the spacer is for the rotor.
Ifs wheel mounting surface is farther out on the hub then that of a solid axle wms. it is like haveing a wheel spacer just by adding the ifs hub, but then the rotor does not line up hence the spacer to move the rotor back inward.
No real huge advantage, other then you may not need a spacer to space your wheel out and ifsbearing hubs are easy to find.

**** the sky kit yes it works but you end up with less braking ability due to the 1/2" smaller OD rotors. I have ran ifs hubs on solid axle spindles with fj40/60/80 rotors and V6 calipers. Just mount the rotors like factory and swap the caliper to the other side of the mounting ears on the knuckle. Just drill the mounting ears out to 1/2" and run a bolt through. Simple as that and it can be free if you use the stock solid rotors and calipers.

**** the sky kit yes it works but you end up with less braking ability due to the 1/2" smaller OD rotors. I have ran ifs hubs on solid axle spindles with fj40/60/80 rotors and V6 calipers. Just mount the rotors like factory and swap the caliper to the other side of the mounting ears on the knuckle. Just drill the mounting ears out to 1/2" and run a bolt through. Simple as that and it can be free if you use the stock solid rotors and calipers.

Do this. Cheap, easy. Then decide if you need wheel spacers, also cheap and easy.

Will it work if I use V6 calipers and vented rotors?

Now that was information we did not know. Cool!
We have always upgraded the brakes by bolting on 86 rotors and calipers to the stock straight axle hubs. Either stock rotors or slotted and cross drilled. We have never had to deal with wheel spacers on that application. Makes sense though.
Great posts!
:D

So you can run an ifs wheel bearing hub, and the spacer is for the rotor.
Ifs wheel mounting surface is farther out on the hub then that of a solid axle wms. it is like haveing a wheel spacer just by adding the ifs hub, but then the rotor does not line up hence the spacer to move the rotor back inward.
No real huge advantage, other then you may not need a spacer to space your wheel out and ifsbearing hubs are easy to find.
Hmm. I guess Im not too familiar with the IFS parts, I have an 84. I just run the FJ vented rotors with "V6" calipers and wheel spacers to clear the calipers/match the rear width. Seems simple and doesn't require a kit?

~T.J.

Because ifs wheel bearing hubs are diff. Then a solid axle and some people piece axles together that are not complete, and your wheel is not mounted to a spacer but to an actual hub.

By use of the ifs hub keeps center of wheel centered on wheel bearings which is stronger and keeps handling characteristics factory, I have the sky kit on my yota works great

Any IFS caliper will work.
I had to drill the rotor using the hub as a guide, then the rotor bolts to the hub from the inside, as the pic shows. And swap the caliper to the other side of their mounting tabs as DWT said, and tap the caliper and drill out the tabs, I used a metric bolt fine thread, the head in 21mm, its like a 17mm bolt.

PICs of mine

DSCF0183-1.jpg

DSCF0193-1.jpg

DSCF0195-1.jpg

PIRATE INFO

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

79-80 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto hub with 6 bolts and the wheel studs are pressed into the hub only. For Land Cruiser vented brake swap you must use 79-80 LC rotors.
81-85 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto the hub with 2 bolts and the wheel studs are prasses through the hub and is pressed into the rotor. For the Land Cruiser vented rotor swap you must use 81+ LC rotors. Uses Toyota 90942-02053, Dorman #610-264 or Napa 641-3126 wheel studs.

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the need to run a IFS caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.