• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In the event of a rollover

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
Its always a good idea to talk about safety when we are wheelin.

In the event of a rollover whats the first thing you should do?

Also how many of you have the ability to shut down all voltage to your rig?

As soon as the rig starts to overturn I just run out as fast as I can. :redneck:

get that fawker back over quick, no bs under the hood then.

Another issue to consider is whether or not everything inside is secure BEFORE you roll. A friend of mine rolled in Moab and the only real damage was caused by a drawbar that was inside but not secured. Luckily it took out glass, but it could just as well have taken out flesh.

As soon as the rig starts to overturn I just run out as fast as I can. :redneck:

get that fawker back over quick, no bs under the hood then.

It make take several minutes to manuever another rig with a winch to where it can right your vehicle. You may also be stunned enough that you aren't thinking straight.

Of course that probably doesn't apply to you because you always wear a helmet, don't you?

It make take several minutes to manuever another rig with a winch to where it can right your vehicle. You may also be stunned enough that you aren't thinking straight.

Of course that probably doesn't apply to you because you always wear a helmet, don't you?

Helmut? what?

I get more concerned with the keys flying out the other door opening into a swamp or something. Seems I always have to look for my keys longer than the winching.

Plus if I have anybody other than my ol lady in the rig I will usually start yelling at you to keep you goddamm feet off of my windshield and blinker lever.

Ya know how many times I have had to replace the wiper/blinker levers?

Another issue to consider is whether or not everything inside is secure BEFORE you roll. A friend of mine rolled in Moab and the only real damage was caused by a drawbar that was inside but not secured. Luckily it took out glass, but it could just as well have taken out flesh.

Yes. My wife and I went over once. We thought we had everything secured.

Everything except for a D-ring shackle that whizzed right by her face.

Its always a good idea to talk about safety when we are wheelin.

In the event of a rollover whats the first thing you should do?

Also how many of you have the ability to shut down all voltage to your rig?

make sure everybody is safe. passengers as well as bystanders and dogs.

make the rig secure prior to extracation people, i mean is it stable or will climbing out make it move further.

Remove people

Asses fluid leakage

Check for electrical issues. battery still in place no sparking....

prior to righting the rig make sure it will be safe when righted: EG Brake set, in gear, etc or maybe a safety strap if on an incline as needed for the situation.

pretty busy today but there is a good start to add to as yall decide.

Once I know I'm past the point of no return, I let go of the steering wheel and cross my arms and grab my shoulder straps with my hands. That keeps my hands out of the steering wheel spokes and helps keep them inside during the roll over.

We were over hunting the Manastash one year and Odie Whiteside (Whiteside towing south of Snohomish) was ahead of us as we were headed back to camp one night after a run to Ellinsburg. As he crossed a wood deck bridge, I seen his CJ5 pitch sideways from the ice, around and around they went. They went off the road, hit the ditch and rolled several times. Everyone was OK, but our friend Chuck who was in the back. A tool box had come open and all the sockets etc had flew around inside the Jeep as it rolled. The next day he looked like some one had taken a ball peen hammer to his head. I think it was after that one that Odie coined the phrase "A Jeep aint worth a **** unless its been rolled"
:redneck:

make sure everybody is safe. passengers as well as bystanders and dogs.

make the rig secure prior to extracation people, i mean is it stable or will climbing out make it move further.

Remove people

Asses fluid leakage

Check for electrical issues. battery still in place no sparking....

prior to righting the rig make sure it will be safe when righted: EG Brake set, in gear, etc or maybe a safety strap if on an incline as needed for the situation.

pretty busy today but there is a good start to add to as yall decide.

Pretty close to what I do hip :awesomework:

Also in the event of a rollover--keep your hands on the steering wheel.

Its also a VERY good idea to make sure the passenger has a grab bar of some kind---arms not secured with your hands are prone to going every which way.

That's why I cross mine and grab the shoulder straps. I jammed my thump really hard once because of that. You could also get some arm restraints like we run in Sprint Cars.

When we rolled I held onto the steering wheel and tucked towards the center. Peanut has a grab bar but couldn't keep a grip on it so it was pretty much worthless.

If you think you have your junk tied down good enough think again. I had everything tied down rather well and I still had a yard sale...

Having all the fluid vents extended kept fluid loss at bay and a main battery disconnect was indeed used to keep shorts away.

First thing I did was see if she was ok and nothing was broken etc then we climbed out of the truck and shut off the power. I wasn't there for recovery because I was headed to the hospital to get Peanut checked out. But all it entailed was pushing the truck onto it's wheels and tossing the yard sale back in and driving it out.

In the event of a rollover it is best to do a footplant. :rolleyes:

DSCN1333c.jpg

power disconnect, i never really thought about that......good idear.cheers, b

a good battery disconnect is only as effective as a good battery hold down.

It dont matter if you shut off the juice if the battery is laying/welding/exploding on the backside of the hood.

a good battery disconnect is only as effective as a good battery hold down.

It dont matter if you shut off the juice if the battery is laying/welding/exploding on the backside of the hood.

Werd. Mine is tied down extremely well behind the passenger seat. No worries on it coming free. :D

Helmut? what?

I get more concerned with the keys flying out the other door opening into a swamp or something. Seems I always have to look for my keys longer than the winching.

Plus if I have anybody other than my ol lady in the rig I will usually start yelling at you to keep you goddamm feet off of my windshield and blinker lever.

Ya know how many times I have had to replace the wiper/blinker levers?

Yet you don't replace the lock cylinder to keep from losing your keys...:rolleyes:
:fawkdancesmiley:

Werd. Mine is tied down extremely well behind the passenger seat. No worries on it coming free. :D

yeah, i usually put my batteries behind me......i just never really thought about **** falling onto it, or shorts from under the hood upside down.you generally think of everything under the hood as static.......cheers, b