• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

In your opinion :)wheelbase

monstaru

So, I been reading about wheelbase.
So far it seems like 108 to 115 is pretty desirable in the Northwest(not counting the jeepeers) LOL
Whats your wheelbase , and why is it awesome for the Northwest and beyond?

YEP been lots of these threads.....times change :):fawkdancesmiley:
cheers

100 to 105 is nice for around here, get too long and you will start to high center. Generally you should run what most people run......cause they are the ones to carve up the trails IMO of course :redneck:

The nearly stock wheelbase on my old school FJ40 does just fine in the NorthWest. I have yet to find a trail it wouldn't fit on.

naches-pass-13.jpg

I just LOVE those ole fj40's..... If i could get any project it would be one of those.....

Yes tire size is a big role, anything over a 39 seems overkill to me, for general trail use of course....

Anyone elses opinions?

100 to 105 is nice for around here, get too long and you will start to high center. Generally you should run what most people run......cause they are the ones to carve up the trails IMO of course :redneck:

I disagree with running what most people run. You get stuck in the "Jeep holes" that are what most wheelbases are (TJ/YJ etc...) Running a shorter or longer wheelbase has its own pros and cons in certain areas.

But running what everyone else has usually leads to problems.

That being said I get by just fine with my 100 inch wheelbase. :awesomework:

im at 103" and i really like it. stable for what i like to do with it and not too long to worry about high centered stuff as much

Short pros......turns great, good belly clearance, small trailer or flatbed hauler.

Short cons......Climbs crappy/bad weight transfer, horrible driveline lengths/angles, bad manners/loud with lockers, small interior/seating/storage.

Long pros........climbs awesome, more stable/less weight transfer, nice long reliable drivelines, more seating/storage.

Long cons.......turning radius, backing around corners, belly clearance.

Tires size and width do play a large roll in what to decide on also.

Inbetween = Perfect.

Welp, I've never had to negotiate a full size on tight trails.Only in the desert.
Maybe I should have left the word opinion out of it and just asked what folks were running.. LOL :fawkdancesmiley:

I am looking at like 110 right now.......
cheers