• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Isotropic finishing for gear sets

Binder said:
Never heard of it but it seems like a snake oil sort of thing to me.

I remember reading about it in on e of the hot rod magazines about 5 years ago. The article said that it increased the strength of the gears. I was just digging around for info and was wondering if anyone here had any expierence with it.

I know a great way to increase the strength of your gears. Toss them in the scrap heap and get bigger ones.

CrustyJeep said:
I know a great way to increase the strength of your gears. Toss them in the scrap heap and get bigger ones.

YUP, D60 gears are bigger than D44 gears.

There is another company I think out there that does this. I remember seein it in a video on teh SEMA website. If I rembemer right they had dyno tested a ring a pinion and I think strenth tested it too. I cant remeber.

Binder said:
Never heard of it but it seems like a snake oil sort of thing to me.

No more of a snake oil than cryogenic Ujoints and shafts. Works extreamly well.

its a surface treatment....

it would make things....in say....racecars better, as it would make the gearset more efficient......run cooler, sap less hp, possibley last longer....

but when it comes down to shock-load strength (launching at drag strip, 'wheelin') I doubt it would make hardly any difference, as it is not effectively changing the 'strength' of the gear set, only making it operate more effieciently.

cryo treatment DOES effectively change (increase) the 'strength' of the gear set...