• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Isuzu Trooper how are they? whose got one?

SJR

Im looking to get a family 4 x 4 something with 4 doors and a rear seat , how are the older troopers? anything I need to look out for ? how are they offroad? any weaknesses ? how bout after market hubs and stuff? are they all straight axle or did they go IFS also looking to buy in NW WA thanks Scott

I run one, a '91. I also moderate the Isuzu forums over at 4x4wire.com.

I will answer a couple of questions here, but there is a wealth of knowledge over at that other site.

All Troopers have been IFS. There was a major body shift between '91 and '92. They are typically referred to as Gen I and Gen II.

Manual hubs are available for nearly all models. While there are limited suppliers, ARB lockers, Aussie Lockers, Warn hubs, etc., are available.

i ran one a few years ago & was able to save crash's arse by being the only one able to drive into ellensburg and get him a fuel pump

i got a 88 trooper i've been beating on for years.(very solid rigs) make sure you get the 2.6 liter, with the 12 bolt rear its their best motor/rear end from the early years. check out independent4x, Matt has got lots of great trooper knowledge and after market products. and the new t-case gears are a great deal. the trooper 12 bolt is stronger than a toyota rear. (imo)

Jeff

sidekicks are getting pretty popular, and they are cheap/ good gas and they probably have just as much if not more aftermarket than the pooper, and sas are easy. my .02

dude! get a cherokee. u wont regreat it. 4 doors, solid axles, rear seats everything u want

X2!!! :awesomework: I've got an '89 XJ 4DR, lifted 3" w/ 31" BFG Muds---owned it for 5-6yrs now: use it for hunting and mild wheelin; Goes some pretty impressive places even for open diffs!!! Parts are cheap,some minor upgrades (sway bar discos,maybe a locker or two, bumpers, etc....) and they are great all around wheelers/DD's!!!!

I know a guy Tim Anderson from Port Orchard he through some 31 mtrs on it and with his driving ability he goes more places than I would have ever guessed possible with on of those. I'll also say he's hard on it and it has held up well.