• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep AX5 tranny problems

JPT

So driving home from walker on Saturday I lost gears 3 and 4 in my tranny. Its a 97 TJ 4cyl 5-speed and the tranny has always shifted good it has a new clutch and haven't had any issues until I was driving home and got of on a exit downshift to 4th nothing downshift to 3rd nothing 2 gear is there so basically I have 1,2,5 and reverse. When I put it in 3 or 4 you feel nothing in the shifter and can let the clutch out and vehicle doesn't move. I drove home going from second to fifth and there are no strange noises from the tranny. Any ideas before I pull the tranny out?

Should be an AX15, if it's a 4.0L...But my guess would be you lost a shift fork roll pin (or whatever they use to fix the fork to the rail) causing the fork to not move with the rail...

Should be an AX15, if it's a 4.0L...But my guess would be you lost a shift fork roll pin (or whatever they use to fix the fork to the rail) causing the fork to not move with the rail...

It's dead. Not worth rebuilding. Find a used ax15 to put in it. :awesomework:

I know English is hard but could you guys at least try to read more than just the topic title before replying? :flipoff:

The ax5 is a pretty light duty trans but if it went from working to not working with no noise then it probably is a roll pin or busted shift fork. 4th gear is just 1:1 with the input and output connected by a collar. If that collar ain't moving then you know the rest of the story. That trans is easy to split, I just did that on a toyota w58 which is in the same trans family. I lost second gear when I broke a shift fork power shifting. :redneck:

The ax15 can be swapped in but you either need to find a ax15 bellhousing from a 2.5 dakota or pony up for an adapter plate kit from advance adapters.

It is a 2.5L 4 banger so it should be a ax-5 not an ax-15 and yeah I have been told they are a pretty light duty tranny. So the question is should I have it rebuilt or just try to find another one to put in it? Any idea what kind of price I'm looking at if I pull it and take it some place assuming it is a pin or fork?

How common are the 2.5/ax15 Dakotas because I actually have a low mile ax15 and 231 with sye I could put in it. Also what else is needed besides the bellhousing and what clutch do you run with it? I'm thinking just rebuild it because I want to just fix it cheap and quick but just curious of other options.

You could probably find a used ax5 cheaper than rebuilding yours unless it is just a shift fork. The forks are held by a bolt not a roll pin so l doubt it came loose and the gears you are talking about are on 2 different rails.

so an LS/T400 with an atlas should do the trick... just for a broken roll pin :corn:

Hell yeah! Who knows when your going to have to excuse to pull the Tranny out again.... :fawkdancesmiley:

I'm just saying I have seen multiple ax5's die. Just does not seem worth it. I guess he could swap any transmission, the ax15 is a simple swap to me.

You could probably find a used ax5 cheaper than rebuilding yours unless it is just a shift fork. The forks are held by a bolt not a roll pin so l doubt it came loose and the gears you are talking about are on 2 different rails.

So if 3 and 4 are on 2 different rails what would cause both gears to fail at the same time? After cruising for 15 miles in 5th gear on I-5 with no noises or any problems with the Jeep at all I exit the freeway and suddenly 3 and 4 are just nonexistent that's why I'm not sure what to think.

No dice...He just sold it last weekend. :smack:

Thanks for checking for me but I already have a complete AX-15 and 231 with an Advance Adapters SYE and only 85k original miles and its just sitting in my shop because I pulled it out of my other 97 TJ 4.0 to do a 700R4/D300 setup. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with doing that swap right now and having drivelines built and whatever else it will take once I am into it.

If you've already got the main parts, then I'd do it now...You're gonna spend the coin on a used AX5 or the adapter kit...seems the adapter is the smart way to go.
Good luck man!

3rd and 4th are on the same rail. All aisin transmission's are basically the same. This is my w58 out of my auto x toyota truck as an example. 1-2 is the top fork (mine is broken from hamfisting it into 2nd :redneck: ) 3-4 is the other fork you see, 5th and reverse are in the tail housing.

20140217_164720_zpshbcmsvmb.jpg