• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep Hesitation problems

JeepNgurl

Does anyone know what causes my wrangler to hesitste?

Ill be on the freeway usually happens in traffic and just for a second it cuts out and it will do this many times, sometimes when it comes back it seems like theres only half the power in the engine working and you hear a terrible metal clinging noise, than it will come back full power all of a sudden.

I thought it was due to cheap gas but i havent used cheap gas in months and it started again. I put lucas fuel injector cleaner and it seems to help but im unsure, because it doesnt happen all the time its got a mind of her own LOL
The temp guage is completly normal and as for my specs to maybe help identify the problem:
99Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 4" Lift 33x12.5 centerforce stage 2 clutch, header type exhaust manifold ( I do hear a small exhaust leak even though my new manifold was GUARNTEED NEVER to crack) intake, stock gears 44 in the rear w/ Detroit.

Please Help if you need to ask questions to help identify the problem please do I will be checking this thread a few times daily THANK YOU!

I have a check engine light on in My 99 tj and i scanned it it says cam shaft is malfunctioning, i have called the dealership, used jeep part junkyards and a few friends who know jeeps, plus the read in the manual and almost everyone has said there isnt a camshaft on my wrangler ive looked it up online and havent found anything Im confused also would you know anything about this?

People are messing with you, there is a cam in your wrangler. First thing that pop'd into my mind was cam positioning sensor but I don't know if your Jeep even has one. TPS wouldn't throw that code.

cam shaft positioing sensor is why my check engine light is on but no one knows if i have one on my jeep or even where its located if i did

People are messing with you, there is a cam in your wrangler. First thing that pop'd into my mind was cam positioning sensor but I don't know if your Jeep even has one. TPS wouldn't throw that code.

:wtf: Im lost so i do or DONT have one If I do WHERE THE HELL IS IT??????
I went to olympic and tried to buy one since thats what the scanner said and they said my Jeep doesnt have one that maybe i misread its my crank shaft ...............I just changed that so I know its not that It READ CAM SHAFT positioning sensor

You wrote in post number two that the cam shaft was malfunctioning. Cam shaft and cam positioning sensor are two different things. I'm not familliar with your year Jeep but if the code says "cam positioning sensor" then I would be willing to bet that it does have one.........Olympic has a bunch of monkeys behind the counter, you cant take what they say for sure.

You wrote in post number two that the cam shaft was malfunctioning. Cam shaft and cam positioning sensor are two different things. I'm not familliar with your year Jeep but if the code says "cam positioning sensor" then I would be willing to bet that it does have one.........Olympic has a bunch of monkeys behind the counter, you cant take what they say for sure.

It was the sensor thats malfunctioning sorry I didnt add that part, Ive looked online and No luck finding anything or even calling the dealership I asked how much one is and they said "oh well you will have to bring it in" Hell No so you can charge me to tell me what I already know, just sell me the DAMN part tell me where its located and Ill DO it myself Thank you

Try calling a real part store like NAPA and hopefully someone will answer the phone with half a clue. Don't try to explain anything to them just ask for the part.

If you goto Autozone or Schucks. They'll scan it for free. If you were over on this side of the pond, I'd scan it for you.

I went to action auto parts to buy one and they ordered a crank shaft positions sensor so I had the same go around with them, schucks doesnt sell em action auto says dealer only but the dealer wont give me info I havent tried Napa yet though, i just figured all parts stores would be the same if action and schucks didnt sell em.......

You DO have a cam position sensor in that jeep. Its in your distributor just remove cap, rotor then theres a cover plate its underneath there and has harness coming out the side of the distributor. Im sure napa can hook ya up for parts.

looked napa online and it says not found Just called napa 3 sec ago and computer says no listing only Crank shaft WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what causes my wrangler to hesitste?

The driver?

:haha: :haha: :fawkdancesmiley:

Between the two sensors you probably have it covered.

I can't remember that far back..does the 4.0L have a vacuum advance on the distributor?

Last edited:
The driver?

:haha: :haha: :fawkdancesmiley:

Between the two sensors you probably have it covered.

I can't remember that far back..does the 4.0L have a vacuum advance on the distributor?

No vacuum advance on 4.0's.

It's probably the crank shaft position sensor (CPS). Very common problem on 4.0's, and when they start going bad they will do EXACTLY what you've described... sometimes shut down and you'll have to wait a bit to restart it, cut out randomly, etc, not start at all, etc.

It's kind of a PITA to change, especially if you don't have a body lift, because it's on the transmission bellhousing near the top (about 11:00 o'clock position). Tell Darius to change it out for you. :D