• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep Hesitation problems

No vacuum advance on 4.0's.

It's probably the crank shaft position sensor (CPS). Very common problem on 4.0's, and when they start going bad they will do EXACTLY what you've described... sometimes shut down and you'll have to wait a bit to restart it, cut out randomly, etc, not start at all, etc.

It's kind of a PITA to change, especially if you don't have a body lift, because it's on the transmission bellhousing near the top (about 11:00 o'clock position). Tell Darius to change it out for you. :D

its not the Crank I already changed that out its gone out 2 times and its different it wouldnt start at all when it was the crank sensor

sometimes if it wont start I jiggle the coil wire and she fires up again

Usually when a vehicle hesitates (female driver) it because they are doing there makeup or on a cell phone.:haha:

Jeep puts the camshaft position sensor in the distributor. It is usually cheaper to buy a remanufactured distributor for less than the sensor (and it will already have a good one in it.):beer:

if you cannot get the part you need let me know, I will go to my guys ( I have to pick up some parts anyway) and I can easily get a price or part for you...

Just let me know...

I get pretty good discounts too

NAPA has the dist with the sensor inside (It's the same back till '96) Most of the time, it's a spec of dirt inside the dist interfering with the hall effect sensor (it works like the motion sensor that beeps when you go into a store) or the connector has corrosion on it, or the wire is breaking off at the plug from swinging around due to engine movement.

I can get you a distributor as soon as tomorrow (if ordered before 2pm) for $145.47 plus tax (125.47+shipping$20)

or.....

I can get you the sensor for the dist (plate inside with the pigtail) for about $50 (about $44.38 plus tax)

these are all next day items... so if you wanted any .. the sensor is cheaper, let me know and i will order it up and pick the parts up when i get the brakes for my 05 mustang tomorrow, then i can get the part to you.

and you do have a cam sensor... it is the little plate inside the dist with the wires on it. don't let anyone tell you different.:awesomework:

Last edited:
MP847 is the pickup sensor (warehouse) and 48-4495 is the dist (kent warehouse) Borrow someone with a Boeing or Metro ID and most places will give you a discount.

we all need too know the code number too look it up and so we know whitch direction to go you don't want to sent money that you don't need to

what you discribed is multible cyl missfire possible spark plugs or a wire going bad O does it have a dist or is it a big coil pack need to know that to

My suggestion is quit even thinking of buying parts until it is diagnosed properly.

You probably had a po340 code for no cam position signal, which can be caused by a crank/no start situation. They very seldom ever go bad.

The problem you are decribing is a very common one on the jeeps. It could be caused by the fuel pump failing intermittant and the pressure dropping off. Check it by hooking up a pressure guage to the fuel rail and driving it until the proble occurs and watching the fuel pressure. it will probably be dropping off.

Again, do not change parts without diagnosis. Most times it is cheaper to pay to have it diagnosed that to just start changing parts.

Nike, I've had the same thing happen on several occasions. It took me about 6 months for anybody to even suggest changing an 02 sensor (since it wasn't even throwing that code).

Mine was actually doing the whole studdering thing last week till I changed out the downstream 02 sensor. (it was upstream the last time.)

Last time, I tossed a new throttle position sensor in there and wasted $60 in the process and didn't do a thing. It got to the point where it was backfiring and caused more damage.

I've come to the conclusion though, that it's very possible that the cause for the studdering is the fact that we're female. :cheer:

Last edited:
I went through zodiak and got the cam positon sensor I will be putting it in tonight and tell you all how things are going, since it only happen every once in awhile I dunno if i will know if it is fixed for a while but thank you all for your suggestions Ill keep you posted

Last edited:
Well i put in The sensor tonight myself and my check engine light is off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pray that thats all it was!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts