• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

jeep is really hard to put into gear why ?

popcancherokee

I have a 1991 jeep wrangler and put a good working ax15 in it about 6 months ago put in new clutch at same time.worked great then about a month later slave cylinder started leaking so put a new one in.it worked OK for a short time now some times it works great.and other times it is a bitch to get into gear all the gears.the clutch seems to almost goes to the floor before it works.changed trans fluid twice and bleed the clutch allot.could it be a bad master cylinder.It sucks when your half way up a hill and back up and then cant get it into gear.Thanks for all info...

Id get a good quallity clutch master!!! if that dont fix it slave cylinder!!! Make sure if their is a rubber hose! That it doesnt have a bubble in it!!! Its not comon but ive seen it!!!

I never buy them separate for the jeep ax-15 I buy the master and slave pre bled because those lines for some reason are a PITA. Its spendy but i have never had a problem with mine.

Also check the bushing the the clutch pedal goes into on your pedal assembly. I know the one on my TJ was egg shaped and worn out from so much use. I pulled the pedal assembly and had it welded and drilled back to the original hole diameter.

Way mo betta. :awesomework:

Also check the bushing the the clutch pedal goes into on your pedal assembly. I know the one on my TJ was egg shaped and worn out from so much use. I pulled the pedal assembly and had it welded and drilled back to the original hole diameter.

Way mo betta. :awesomework:

Come to think of it my assembly actually cracked at that bushing and had to much flex in it....might be something to look for. i just took it out and welded up the crack.

ive also had an issue as the exhaust ran right by the slave cylinder and would boil the oil. clutch was like it was low on fluid. when it cooled off worked fine. i just built a little heat shield for it.

my buddies wrangler just had this same problem...

i had him replace the master cyl, and it is all better now...

All good info... i like to read these threads.. Gives me ideas for future possable issues!!!! :awesomework::beer:

is the 91 an internal or external slave? I had issues with the internal slaves I throw it in the garbage and converted my 90 to external. I also had issues bleeding the external master slave and also bought a pre-bleed master/slave... also the external master/slave has a plastic hose which melted but didn't break but would bulge when pushing the pedal... I again replaced then put in a heat shield.