• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep jk death wobble

Rockwells607

We have a Gordous 2010 JK with 4" lift and 35" Nittos thy we love but it's developed a death wobble I can't fix, I've checked everything , someone was telling me a few weeks ago the steering geometry is messed up in them and there's a correction steering setup for them? This is common? :dunno: I love the jeep but we hvent been driving it because of it and I wanna get it back on the road ASAP, I'll order the oarts today if someone can point me the right direction

I've been in one jeep when it did that I wanted out right then and there. I'm waiting for my buddy to respond on what he did to fix it .. Thought he said something about a steering box adjustment

There's many things that can cause the problem, but if it drove fine before and doesn't now something has wore or is loose. Could be as simple as tire balance. A lot of people will throw a stabilizer at the problem, that's just a bandaid that'll fall off when you need it most.

I'm sure others will post, but I'd say need to check everything in suspension for being tight, wore, or bent.

I've balanced the tires , rotated em... Doesn't help, I've heard of other jk jeeps doing it that arnt lifted and apparently they had a bad geometry from the factory or something that's why I ask if anyone knows more about it

I'm googling forums and a lot of people are saying the balloons are typically the d.w. Issues, all the way down to 5k miles on jks, I've checked everything else and the ball joints don't really seem bad but there is a squeak when it turns , I think I'll try changing them this jeep has 60k on it

Re:

Check Trac bar and check ball joints. Any play can cause death wobble. If it has 60,000 then the ball joints may be bad. They don't last long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The OEM track bar bolts are too small and leave a lot of slack in the mount. We broke one cruising around at KOH a few years ago. I believe there are a few vendors that sell replacement hardware kits but we just picked up the correct size at napa.

I just replaced the heims in the track bar and the hole on the axle end was all egged out from the wobble, I fixed it by welding hardened washers to the mounts , it fixed the hole but not the death wobble

I'm trying to figure it out, guys I bought it from says he thinks it's rough country but I see it has super lift springs in the front

Are you still using oem bolts? This is what I'm talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9pPZu1qc4

Does it have a track bar drop bracket? If so, inspect it closely. I had a rough country one crack on me in a borrowed jeep and the DW that ensued was the worst I've ever experienced. 9 out of 10 times, track bar bolts loose or holes egged out is the source of it on those things. I've seen tires cause it too but since you've balanced and rotated, I'd look elsewhere.

Most common problem I've run across in the JK's are ball joints and tie rod ends. Specifically, tie rod at pitman and drag link at passenger knuckle. Sometimes trackbar. If you see play in anything, replace it. Fixing some components but leaving others will lead to accelerated wear on the new component.

Check this guy out, he's pretty well known as far as JK's go. Has a pretty good write up on diagnostics.
http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/write-up-diagnosing-death-wobble-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-wobbles-260145/

Call Moab off-road and talk with Lucus or max they will tell you the problem and sell you the parts to fix it 1(502)9628141

creepycrawly said:
Does it have a track bar drop bracket? If so, inspect it closely. I had a rough country one crack on me in a borrowed jeep and the DW that ensued was the worst I've ever experienced. 9 out of 10 times, track bar bolts loose or holes egged out is the source of it on those things. I've seen tires cause it too but since you've balanced and rotated, I'd look elsewhere.

My personal experience is the same. DW is almost always related to the track bar.

jp fan said:
Call Moab off-road and talk with Lucus or max they will tell you the problem and sell you the parts to fix it 1(502)9628141

Good guys for sure 8)

I'm having the same issue with a 97 Tj with 4" lift on it. It drove fine for a month and went wheeling on very easy trails and now it death wobbles like crazy! Any info on the fix would be appreciative. I've rotated tires check everything for tight even adjusted the castor if I go one way it's good but darts all over the road. I can't deal with that. I guess it's the whole "jeep thing" that jeep owners are talking about!

Yotermoter said:
I'm having the same issue with a 97 Tj with 4" lift on it. It drove fine for a month and went wheeling on very easy trails and now it death wobbles like crazy! Any info on the fix would be appreciative. I've rotated tires check everything for tight even adjusted the castor if I go one way it's good but darts all over the road. I can't deal with that. I guess it's the whole "jeep thing" that jeep owners are talking about!

Rotating the tires won't help if the tires being rotated in are in the same condition. Again, track bar is usually the culprit. Do you have a drop bracket? Are tie rod ends worn? What torque are the track bar bracket bolts at? Good'n tight won't get it. They need to be holy jeebus tight.