• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jessi Combs

tonybolton said:
I'm an A-hole, but i'm already seeing "...women can't drive" meme's of her on social media/internet. Not even a "too soon" thing, just a complete douchebag thing.

I've seen a couple. I read the article on Fox news about the crash and the comments were pretty terrible. Humans ****ing suck. We need a new plague.

The Luke said:
I think he's more curious about what caused it. Mechanical failure, rut, etc...

Yea I would definitely like to know the cause as well. Hopefully that detail will come out at some point.

From Pirate.

As we reported, sources familiar with the investigation tell us Combs was unable to slow down the 52,000-horsepower, 56-foot-long vehicle after she completed her run across the dry lakebed of the Alvord Desert, and she ended up traveling beyond the designated safety area.

Our sources familiar with the situation tell us the wreck was equivalant to the force of an "airplane crash," especially due to the vehicle being customized from an F-104 jet.....We're told another issue that will be brought up regarding the crash was a lack of a roll cage in the vehicle, which could have served as another safety measure for Combs during a violent crash.

It might "absorb" the initial impact but all of that energy / inertia has to go somewhere....not certain how much a well designed and fabricated cage is going to help at the speeds she was going.

I think we can all imagine what happens to a roll cage at 500+ mph in the desert. . . . . . . .

LightBnDr said:
I think we can all imagine what happens to a roll cage at 500+ mph in the desert. . . . . . . .

Agreed...I'm not sure if anything would save you at that speed. It would take a mile or better to stop, I'm assuming. That speed is out of my mindframe.

You can be strapped in as tight as a mofo and the best built cage on earth but at 500 mph your organs and gonna beat their selves to pudding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Re: Jessi Combs

Zjman said:
You can be strapped in as tight as a mofo and the best built cage on earth but at 500 mph your organs and gonna beat their selves to pudding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly...

...Blue on black
Tears on a river
Push on a shove
It don't mean much
Joker on jack
Match on a fire
Cold on ice
As a dead man's touch
Whisper on a scream
Doesn't change a thing
Doesn't bring you back
Blue on black...

The Luke said:
Maybe absorb the initial hit? Maybe.

Good point, but NHRA cars reach 330+mph and their cages are built to withstand their enormous impacts and at those speeds, I have to imagine it would be recognizably similar on impact. I'm not saying it would have saved her life, but when a top fuel dragster takes a wild ride, most of the time they walk away. In her case, I'm sure weight and weight distribution might be a factor in the building of those chassis. Just thinking out loud here.

One thing is for sure, it is a terrible tragedy and she will be missed on all levels of racing she enjoyed. RIP Jessi...

ADMINISTRATOR

LOS ANGELES — Jessi Combs' attempt to set the record for fastest woman on earth will be submitted for a Guinness World Record at 531.889 mph, it was announced Saturday evening during an event held in her honor at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Combs died after her jet car crashed during the record attempt on a dry lake bed in Oregon. She was 39 years old. If certified, it would break the previous record of 512.7 mph set in 1976 by Kitty O'Neil.

Combs did two runs. The first reached 515.346 mph and the second one was 548.432 mph. The average (531.889 mph) will be submitted to Guinness.

The museum is hosting an exhibition "Jessi Combs: Life at Full Speed" Sunday through Wednesday (Sept. 25) that includes some of her motorcycles, helmets, racing medals and memorabilia from her TV career. On Thursday, the creation of the Jessi Combs Foundation was announced to educate, empower and inspire the next generation of female trailblazers and stereotype-breakers.

Combs was one of the most prolific and well-known automotive personalities of the last decade. She co-hosted "The List," which ran on Autoblog from 2011-2017. She also appeared in several TV shows, including "Overhauling" and "All Girls Garage."

Combs had set a four-wheeled record in 2013 in the North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger, reaching 398 mph. She went faster than 483 mph during attempts last year, but they didn't count as records because of mechanical issues.

In announcing her passing, Combs' family said in a statement: "Jessi's most notable dream was to become the fastest woman on Earth, a dream she had been chasing since 2012. Combs was one of the rare dreamers with the bravery to turn those possibilities into reality, and she left this earth driving faster than any other woman in history."

Checkout the Urn built by Jesse James - posted on 9/19/19

Cause determined in Jessi Combs' fatal speed record crash
Occurred at speeds near 550 mph

ZAC PALMER
Nov 4th 2019 at 5:34PM
jessi-combs2.jpg

Jessi Combs' fatal high-speed crash was caused by "a mechanical failure of the front wheel, most likely caused from striking an object on the desert," according to the Harney County Sheriff's Office in Oregon. This information comes to us two months after Combs' tragic accident on the dry lake bed of the Alvord Desert. Combs was 39 years old.
The investigation concluded that the front wheel failure "led to the front wheel assembly collapsing." The sheriff's department says this happened at speeds approaching 550 mph. Both the Harney County Sheriff's Office and the North American Eagle Race Team collected evidence from the scene to come to this conclusion.
Her cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma to the head, which happened before the vehicle was engulfed in flames. No other official information regarding the crash was released.
Combs was an extremely well-known racer, fabricator and a longtime host of Autoblog's "The List" video series, and it is with heavy hearts that we convey this news to you today. The sheriff's office concluded its release by passing on "its condolences to the family of Jessi Combs and the North American Eagle Race Team."