• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jet ski advice

creepycrawly said:
My buddy scored a killer deal on a 2015 Yamaha VX Cruiser with 9 hours on it for $8,000. That's just more than I wanted to spend on a ski, but it's super nice. I was amazed at how much better the 3 seater handled open water.

Both yamaha and seadoo make great 4 stroke ski's. The entry level ski's that are affordable are great and usually indestructible.
Reason being the same motor is used for the highest hp boat they make it is usually just naturally aspirated, de-tuned, different intake grates, and impellers.
Thats what makes them so robust. Take a engine that will make 400hp and de tune it to 140 and you can't blow it up if you try.

Yamaha probably went to three cylinders for weight and to get a boat that is more on a level playing field for racing with seadoo, as they have ran 3 cyl for years now. It was always hard to get them on equal platforms for racing with one having alot more displacement

rednecklights said:
So, what's the good and the bad on the sea doo sparks and the Yamaha EX ?

Looking at buying a Spark insurane total because they sucked up a rope and blew the motor with 10 hours. The motors on them are supposed to be cheap and easy to rebuild, sleeve kits are a couple hundred bucks.

rednecklights said:
So, what's the good and the bad on the sea doo sparks and the Yamaha EX ?

DO NOT BUY A SEADOO SPARK
, imo. Try to change a spark plug... You have to take the entire shell of the body apart to change one out. I have been told that it was a complete design flaw on their part and the reason why they are so inexpensive. Just what I've been told by a few marine mechanics.

ADMINISTRATOR

The last pwc I had was a gp1200 I loved that thing. I don't like the newer bigger rides... I was sure hoping a spark would be similar (playful) like the older 2 strokes.

I won't be getting one this year anyways so I have some time research.

rednecklights said:
The last pwc I had was a gp1200 I loved that thing. I don't like the newer bigger rides... I was sure hoping a spark would be similar (playful) like the older 2 strokes.

I won't be getting one this year anyways so I have some time research.

Hit me up if you are in the market for 2 older/inexpensive pwc's that need a little bit of work. thumb.gif

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:

, imo. Try to change a spark plug... You have to take the entire shell of the body apart to change one out. I have been told that it was a complete design flaw on their part and the reason why they are so inexpensive. Just what I've been told by a few marine mechanics.

Did some reading on it, apparently the hull is 2 pieces. Take the top cap off in 10 minutes and have access to everything. Of course the article author probably hasn't actually done it so....

http://www.personalwatercraft.com/manufacturers/sea-doo/2015-seadoo-spark-review-1271.html

CHASMAN9 said:

ADMINISTRATOR

I've owned two sparks, putting almost 200hrs on each with no issues. The early ones had some issues with the plastic hulls splitting from playing hard in surf, or beaching them on rocky surfaces. 15min, and you could have the entire top off the ski, making cleanup after saltwater use, and maintenance a breeze (no contorting yourself to get to bolts etc). Both of ours were Vtech tuned so they had a top speed of around 55mph. Honestly I don't care about top speed and running flat out. I enjoy carving corners, whipping 360's, and the spark is a small flickable ski with a narrow seat, whereas most ski's are like sitting on a couch. Locally its next to impossible to find dealers who have them in stock, and when they do, they want full retail and are unwilling to budge off the price.

I've owned a lot of jetski's over the years, and up until last year, I have more ski's than days in a week. I've thinned things out in the last year to two project '01 Seadoo RXDI's that I currently have. Just my personal opinion, but in terms of performance, and storage, nothing holds a candle to the seadoo jetskis.. With that said, they were also total **** boxes that constantly needed a lot of attention. The Yamaha's I owned were stone reliable. My favorite ski was my X2 and wave blaster. I'm actively looking to get another X2 or WB1. While the X2 doesn't like open water or surf, it was great as it only took 2 people to set it on our pontoon deck.
1658150_852123914814235_1533795063_o.jpg

I'm not that familiar with the new yamaha products but did work on a few sparks. Yes the whole top unbolts and makes easy access and thats exactly what it was made for. It was designed to be an entry level cheap ski to rival the old two strokes that were playful. Its very simple and basic, so maybe that makes it more reliable? I honestly have no clue, as i was not around them very long.