• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jig chassis table ?'s

bad80cj

If you were to build you a jig/chassis table how would you go about it? Also what materials would you make it out of? I'm thinking about a table on castors with telescoping legs to change the heights as needed?

I'm at a point with my Truggy that I would like to build a light 2 seater over time with a no rush attitude while building it.

Anyone got a table they made or are making that would like to share pics and or ideas about what you like about it and or change about it?

:driving:

do you think you will use it more than once? i knew, when i build my buggy, that i wasn't gonna be building more than one chassis anytime soon. i built a wooden table at ride height and worked off of it.

I used a 48" x 36" piece of 3/8" plate with castors on the bottom. Then welded 1 3/4" muffler clamps that match the size of the tube of the chassis to hold it to the table. It was not near as nice of some peoples fab tables but fit my needs. It allowed me to move the chassis around to get axles in and out of a tight workspace. Thicker plate or I beams would be better.

wizzo said:
do you think you will use it more than once? i knew, when i build my buggy, that i wasn't gonna be building more than one chassis anytime soon. i built a wooden table at ride height and worked off of it.

Yes, and well who knows. lol Good point.

I view a "jig"table differently than a "chassis" table.

To me a jig is an immensely sturdy / thick / expensive table with lots of uniformly spaced holes in it to help with jigging. They are very precisely made and expensive as a result, mainly for companies doing day in and day out fixturing.

A chassis table is just a cheap roll around table that is heavy enough to hold a chassis for a while, sometimes built of steel so that you can weld to it to help with fixturing, but not heavy enough to reliably hold things in place precisely.

Steve, if you are looking for what I describe as a chassis table you can have mine, it is just taking up space in my shop that I would like back.

SDC10101.JPG

I've since bought a fork lift and 2-post lift that I would build something different to work with if I was going to do it again.

J.J. Chassis table is what I was referring to more than Jig. :) I would gladly borrow yours indefinitely and can give it back anytime needed. :****:

bad80cj said:
J.J. Chassis table is what I was referring to more than Jig. :) I would gladly borrow yours indefinitely and can give it back anytime needed. :****:

Absolutely not. If you take it its yours, scrap it for all I care. I'll PM you my number and we can arrange transportation.

Since I did search maybe this will end up being a good thread to help others as well. Post up more pics :woot:

After building 3 buggys on jackstands I decided to build a better platform to work off.
The main rails are 6" wide flange 9lbs a foot I beams my old man scored for free from work for me, cut to 4' in length.

After squaring every thing I welded in a 3"x3" .250 stringer in the front so I could add on for a motor support if needed and a 3" scd 40 stringer in the rear.

For leaveling I made up adjustable legs out of 2" scd 40, 4 - 3/4"x3" bolts, nuts and 8 washers. In the pic you can see 1 washer welded to each of the bolts, and the quick jig for welding a nut to a washer.

ended up with 4 each of these.

Washers were then welded nut side in and then the bolts just thread in.(still need jamb nuts)

Legs squared and welded on.

My hack welding skills.

Sitting right.

Still need to go get 8 2" muffler clamps and layout/drill holes.
Table is built for 18" belly height but can quickly become 20" or 22" by tacking some 2"x4" box tube to the feet. Beams are set at 28" on center.

This is my table. It is built using 4" x 4" x .250 wall square tube, and a solid sheet of 5' x 15' x .250" plate. I really wish I could have done the top in atleast 1/2" plate, but it just wasn't in the budget. The table was drilled on 5" centers, and I am in the process of having universal/adjustable fixtures made for the chassis I build. I also used the largest capacity castors TSC sold (2000lb ea capacity) The stuff on the table is the start of a chassis for a member here
1426549_787005711326056_136423215_n.jpg

I knew I wasn't going to do this more than once, at least not for a while, so I made one out of 3x3 1/4 wall box I had laying around... just built it to ride height and made it square (actually a little to square, my floor has a very slight slope to it)... I will use it for something else or cut it up for scrap when done with the build...

phonejeeppics42713203_zps1d672843.jpg

3j7 said:
I knew I wasn't going to do this more than once, at least not for a while, so I made one out of 3x3 1/4 wall box I had laying around... just built it to ride height and made it square (actually a little to square, my floor has a very slight slope to it)... I will use it for something else or cut it up for scrap when done with the build...

phonejeeppics42713203_zps1d672843.jpg

so with a small table like this are you just tacking your main frame rails to it and they stay in place? seems you would need something else on there once you start putting motor and all in?

JD said:
so with a small table like this are you just tacking your main frame rails to it and they stay in place? seems you would need something else on there once you start putting motor and all in?
clamped the main rails down, my engine setback is such that the whole shebang is pretty balanced. also i set the drivetrain in altogether rather than in pieces. i will try to get a pic tonight. that table is actually 44 inches long, longer than it looks in that picture...

3j7 said:
clamped the main rails down, my engine setback is such that the whole shebang is pretty balanced. also i set the drivetrain in altogether rather than in pieces. i will try to get a pic tonight. that table is actually 44 inches long, longer than it looks in that picture...

thanks, i am looking to build one and dont have a ton of room so this small size looks good.

I used 3x3 3/16 wall and 2 1/2x 2 1/2 . For the sliders.

Used 2x4 for the top to give 8 in in width change.

Its fully adjustable from 105 to 130 in wheelbase and you can adjust ride hight as you please.