• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jim's Garage YJ

5661b1e6eecd4844d5822b109a880489.jpg

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

That YJ is such a cool and simple rig.

The modded stock framerails keep a certain "look" about it that makes it look very unassuming.

I'm posting this for discussion about the YJ that was built by Jim's Garage in 2012. The Jeep keeps coming up in an unrelated for sale thread so I thought I'd throw it up here rather than clutter the sale thread so I can build a new buggy!!

JG-Would you mind moving over the related posts??

Back story...

In 1999 my Dad bought this Jeep to wander around the hills of Clayon, OK with some buddies. I had never seen or heard of such a thing. The Jeep showed up with a TBI 350, TH350, D300, D44 and 9 inch sitting on 35" TSLs. Otherwise, it was a stock and street legal Jeep. Of course well enough couldn't be left alone. I quickly became hooked and bought my first Jeep to build and go ride.

Fast forward through 13 years of cut this, weld that, broken parts and upgrades.

I started racing in 2010 and quickly decided racing in modified would also be fun. I recruited the old YJ for duty. After a run of failed races due to broken transmission cases from frame flex it was loaded up on Jim Greeson's trailer and sent to be done right.

The recipe was simple

5.3 that I already had
Power Glide that I already had
Atlas 4 speed that was already in it
14/60 that were in it
Add RCV shafts I already had
Narrow the front 60 by 2"
Add 2.0 KING coil overs I already had
New TS seats
Finish the half ass dash in it
Add all new AM gauges
Install air lockers
Install new 5.13 gears
Install a real radiator and coolers
Upgrade the steering to the setup I used for racing
New PRP harnesses
New ATL fuel cell
Keep it mod class legal.

Jim went to work and I mean he absolutely went to work on it. I wasn't really expecting him to slice and dice the frame but I let him do what he does from word go. He was building me another buggy at the time and had recently built Chris' black 4 seat buggy. I knew it was in good hands.

After a few months we picked it up ready to be wired and plumbed. Not long after it was fired up and ready to ride/race. It started off great right out of the box in its first race until I blew up the motor. Of course it was time for a bigger, stronger crate motor. I had a 525hp LS2 crate motor that was slotted for WFO so we dumped it in the YJ and that problem was taken care of.

To date, the YJ has been in 5 races resulting in a DNF, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd and 5th. It's also seen a ton of trail miles ranging from east coast parks to hard core rocks in Clayton. It performs great, is ridiculously comfortable and easy to drive.

I'll get some pics posted up as I scroll through my phone and find them.

Post up any questions and I will be glad to answer them.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

a0e68749e80e35c0e9e226468d53227a.jpg

Tearing down years ago

80eb26767472a00438647bd6cc2ec953.jpg

Half assed transmission killer version

ca41ad724ec3fcdef0ed6dd436af0fc9.jpg

Current. Bringing home a podium

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

d9d29eeaef3ed7ffb985b787334c090d.jpg

Side shot. Yes, the doors are fully functional which is 1 element that makes it enjoyable on the trail.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ

My favorite of your fleet. I've seen this rig at Dixie run along with wfo. I've followed it since jim started on it. My chassis is Jim's #7.

I have an old clapped out cj front clip I'll be starting sometime this year for a no frills jeep buggy very similar to this.

Look forward to whatever you build next BJ. ..

matt

Full frame YJ..I like your style. I think using half doors make them keep the classic Jeep look. I keep mine on year round.
Jeeps like your and Teenycar's on pirate are what inspired me to build ours. :dblthumb: