• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JK's with the 3.8L's??

wannabe

I've seen quite a few new wranglers come in burning oil or no oil and burnt up.. Are all the early 3.8's bad or just see a lot of dumb ass ppl who go without oil changes? Want to buy the wife a new 4 door but don't have that 3.6L money :'(

Re: Re: Re: JK's with the 3.8L's??

TheViking said:
Given my general view of the overall public I would say a lot running over oil change intervals and using conventional oil.
X2

Most people use those 15min oil change places that use the absolute cheapest oil and filters possible. And then still run over on their change intervals.

We have an 07 and have been through a motor at 43,000 miles. It is a known issue, but Jeep would not help us out. We were 2,800 miles from the last oil change when it started knocking. The PCV valve goes bad and it starts pumping oil out the exhaust. Nothing on the ground to alert you. We replaced the motor with a Jasper reman and now check it every two weeks or so.

I had one start using about 1 quart per 100 miles. Ended up being number 6 cylinder spun a bearing and started burning oil thru the exhaust so you never knew it. The dealer put a motor in it under warranty.

very typical for the 3.8

my wifes jku has that same motor and so far so good. I already have plans to drop a 5.3 in it once that pathetic motor gives up. it's terrible with the stock 4.10s and 35s :****:

Overall I'm happy with my 3.8. The jeep gets around better on 35s then my tj did, after having a 2f in an fj40 the 4.0 always seemed like a gutless slug. Gets far better mileage than the 4.0 too. It is a 6 speed, a lot of the power difference between the 3.8 and 3.6 is noticed with the auto Bc the 4 speed suuuuucks. It does intermittently burn oil. Had it looked at by dealer and Chrysler says a quart every 1k is acceptable. A 3.6 jeep has a lot of power top end but doesn't have the torque of the 3.8 IMO.

1tfrot said:
very typical for the 3.8

my wifes jku has that same motor and so far so good. I already have plans to drop a 5.3 in it once that pathetic motor gives up. it's terrible with the stock 4.10s and 35s :****:

Thats my plan. I noticed ours was 2 qts low when I changed the oil for the first time after all the dealer oil changes. I first though dealer left it low. After reading I feel like its common to burn a qt or so between changes.

Re:

I have a Mustang with the 4.6 mod motor and its no horse power king or mod friendly... it still doesn't burn a quart of oil even after a day of open tracking it at 150 miles an hour for 6 hours.

I'm by no means a horse power junkie. I'll take reliability and low maintenance over HP anyday.

We'll as soon as I get rid of the wife's car I'll have to make my mind up. Either getting a Tahoe/Yukon or JK

My buddy works at a Dodge dealer and haaaaaaates JK owners that come from nice cars and order a JK with a soft top. "Why does it rattle?" "Why does it leak?" BECAUSE IT'S A SOFT TOP!!!
:wtflol:

5BrothersFabrication said:
My buddy works at a Dodge dealer and haaaaaaates JK owners that come from nice cars and order a JK with a soft top. "Why does it rattle?" "Why does it leak?" BECAUSE IT'S A SOFT TOP!!!
:wtflol:

laughing1

I've heard the same thing from everyone that I've ran into that works at a jeep dealer.... especially from the customers that get lift,wheels,and tires installed

Not just about the soft tops either....

"Why is it so loud!?"

"Why does it leak!?"

"Why does it ride so rough!?"

:gtfo:

My wife and I bought a 2009 Junkie K 3 years ago....the Jeep was used with 34k miles. It was very maintained by the previous owners who kept every reciept and record of service, and by us as the Jeep never saw a gravel road. We never had and problem with the Jeep until 5k miles ago. I always kept the oil checked and changed every 3k miles or sooner. In the last 5k miles and 2 oil changes it had used 4 quarts of oil. It had never used a drop until 54k miles and now with 59k miles its hard to keep oil in it. We ended up trading it in. I don't buy into term "that's an exceptable amount of oil burnt" when the dealerships are ****ing the eyeballs out of hard working people trying to have nice ****. That excuse is only a lazy ass copout for the automakers to NOT fix their shitty cheap ass engineering.
I know there are some idiots that buy new vehicles and never check nor change their oil and they are truly dumbasses, but just to clarify that Jeep 3.8L are junk. Stay far away!

Re:

I remember back in early 2000's, Cadillac was telling Northstar owners that 1 qt per 1000 miles was normal for them. "Knock on wood," my DD Tacoma with 178k doesn't burn a drop of oil in between changes. (However long that may be!) Sometimes 3000, sometimes A LOT more. Not proud of that but its reality.