• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JK's with the 3.8L's??

Re:

tyldyl12 said:
I remember back in early 2000's, Cadillac was telling Northstar owners that 1 qt per 1000 miles was normal for them. "Knock on wood," my DD Tacoma with 178k doesn't burn a drop of oil in between changes. (However long that may be!) Sometimes 3000, sometimes A LOT more. Not proud of that but its reality.

Yep, my 230k 3.4 tacoma is the same way. Never low, not even a puff of smoke.

Had an Oldsmobile beater car with less than 100k on it with a 3.5 "shortstar" and it burned a quart every 2 tanks of gas.

And a friends wife has a 2007 5.3 Tahoe with DOD, it burned a quart every thousand before we got another efilive vin liscense and disabled the DOD

Meh after having both I'll take a 3.8 over a 4.0 all day. 4.0 was a turd and it wouldn't get 18mpg if I threw it out of a plane. Anybody who thinks a 4.0 has torque hasn't never wheeled a 2f.

jimbo92 said:
Meh after having both I'll take a 3.8 over a 4.0 all day. 4.0 was a turd and it wouldn't get 18mpg if I threw it out of a plane. Anybody who thinks a 4.0 has torque hasn't never wheeled a 2f.

Or a 300 6cyl

Or pretty much any v8

The 4 liter wan't that great. With a little forced induction roots style the 3.8 isn't bad. I drive the **** out of mine on 37's and stock 4.10's all over hell. It is great around town, doesn't lack power too badly taking off and whatnot, and on the highway I generally turn OD off and let er eat, 2700 rpm. My last one with 100k more miles wouldn't pull OD at any point on the highway, this one with only 30K will do OD on anything but a hill over 4% or so. I still want to LS swap, but don't feel like stroking out 6 grand for the kit, even though I have the genIIII engine and a line on a good 6l80e cheap.
Buddy has a roots style blower on his, its perfectly fine to to the rzr or his wakeboard boat. On 37's and 4.88's.
There are some cheap as fawk blower kits on ebay right now, about half price from sprintex

jimbo92 said:

ohhh good god :wtflol: Yeah cause you see tons of Jeeps with dual cases and 5.29s. Every variant of the 4.0 made more HP and TQ than an 2F (1955-1992)

Ive got 18 out of every 4.0 I've had (1 XJ, 1 YJ, and 3 ZJs). Ive had 2 -5.2 ZJs and they both got 15-17mpg.

Chrysler could not get the cold start knocking figured out in cold climates so they specked 5/20 oil. I run 10/30 weight in mine and it does not burn a drop of oil any more. 2008 jku. Its a mini van motor.

scrambled said:
ohhh good god :wtflol: Yeah cause you see tons of Jeeps with dual cases and 5.29s. Every variant of the 4.0 made more HP and TQ than an 2F (1955-1992)

Ive got 18 out of every 4.0 I've had (1 XJ, 1 YJ, and 3 ZJs). Ive had 2 -5.2 ZJs and they both got 15-17mpg.

Did those Jeeps have 35 inch tires?

Also you NEVER see a landcruiser with a 2f and dual cases with 529s. The 2f made its torque a 1k rpm lower than the 4.0. 210ft lbs at 1800 while the 4.0 made a little more with 222 at 2800 rpm. The 2f makes more torque down low.

I have had a 78 fj40 with 35s, a 99 tj with a 4.0 and 35s, and now a 3.8 jk with 35s. The 2f was a very linear motor. It never really made more power then it did right off idle. The 4.0 had to have more rpms to keep them turning.

2F averaged 15mpg. The TJ averaged 12-14. And the JK averages 16-18 MPG.

Not saying the 3.8 is great because its not, just saying its not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Also saying the 4.0 isnt as great as everyone made them out to be. Same with a overrated ford 300ci. It felt torquey because it had a manual with a 7:1 first, anything would feel like it had some guts off the line with that.

blacksheep10 said:
The 4 liter wan't that great. With a little forced induction roots style the 3.8 isn't bad.
I drive the **** out of mine on 37's and stock 4.10's all over hell. Bone stock except for the tires/ wheels/1.75" spacer kit front. It is great around town, doesn't lack power too badly taking off and whatnot, and on the highway I generally turn OD off and let er eat, 2700 rpm. My last one with 100k more miles wouldn't pull OD at any point on the highway, this one with only 30K will do OD on anything but a hill over 4% or so. I still want to LS swap, but don't feel like stroking out 6 grand for the kit, even though I have the genIIII engine and a line on a good 6l80e cheap.
Buddy has a roots style blower on his, its perfectly fine to to the rzr or his wakeboard boat. On 37's and 4.88's.
There are some cheap as fawk blower kits on ebay right now, about half price from sprintex

I love tractors but sometimes you need to spin the tires. When wheelspeed is needed the 2F falls on its face.

Those Toyota motors are great, there is no doubt. To say the 4.0/4.2 isn't in that category is crazy.

I was gonna make a comment about how much heavier the TJ is over the Fj but holy cow the FJ is 3200-3500 pounds!

scrambled said:
Jeeps are getting too bloated to have any type of 6cyl in my opinion.

This is true. If you want anything to feel powerful, just drive an FZJ80 first......holy crap my LX450 was a freaking slug. After driving it for a year is probably why my 3.8 jk feels peppy and economical. That LX was SLOW, and got 10-12mpg. It also weighed in about 1k heavier than the jk.