• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jonnny Joints, Trail Gear, Rusty's, and bushing

Dogboy

Me and a friend are planning some extended radius arms for our Rangers.
We're planning to use 2"x.250" DOM, with weld in bungs for 1 1/4 threads.

I originally planed to use a bushing with a threaded shank. Then I leaned towards, and basically decided on, Johnny Joints (I've read a bunch that the Rusty's joints are junk). Then I was showed Trail Gear's "Creeper" joint.
I've done a lot of research on all the joints, but I really can't find much for reviews/pros/cons on The trail gears. I read on Pirate, that they are horrible and will last 1 run, but also a couple years and still fine...

Does anybody have any experience with the Trail gear Joint?
I'm not using hiem joints, because both of our trucks see a lot of street driving (that why I looked into the bushings).

EDIT: I guess a search here would have shown bad things about the TG joints, and even more good on the Johnny Joints.

Last edited:
Id use hiems from RuffStuff.

Even for street driving.

Try driving home on those JJ after spitting out the guts in the woods.

Yep what Brad said. You could run a hiem on one end and a bushing on the other end of your link and it would help for road driving. Hit me up and Ill get you a quote on some Rod Ends from Ruff Stuff.

Last edited:
Ranger TTB radius arms are bolted at the beam and use 1 pivot at the frame. Only 1 joint per side.

I excluded hiems, because I've read ALOT that the get noisy on street driven trucks.

I drive the truck regularly drive the truck (5-7000 miles a year) and it goes I've the pass on i90 often.

i got the trail gear johnny joints 1 1/4 18mm and have hammered the **** out of them. the only prob i had was the snap ring came undone and joint came loose. but turned it 180 deg so when the rocks hit the link it didnt put pressure on the snap ring. work great ever since.

The TG joints are a pretty good joint. Let me know if you decide you want some. 5% off all TG orders until Friday!

i got the trail gear johnny joints 1 1/4 18mm and have hammered the **** out of them. the only prob i had was the snap ring came undone and joint came loose. but turned it 180 deg so when the rocks hit the link it didnt put pressure on the snap ring. work great ever since.

That is reassuring/good to hear! I've seen pictures of your rig at Elbe.
How long have you had them?

The TG joints are a pretty good joint. Let me know if you decide you want some. 5% off all TG orders until Friday!

I'm still interested in parts, I just want to make sure the pieces I'm getting will last. I should be back in by the end of the week, ordering at least the DOM

Last edited:
I've been running Curries JJ's in my Jeep for better than a decade...they are ****in indestructable and, when you finally get around to it, cheap to rebuild.