• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just Another AX-10....My Crawler Build...

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
Here is my crawler build, it started as a stock AX-10, and it is far from it now. Here is the build up...

Just built it, 100% stock. It lasted about 5 minutes like this until it tore the ear off the stock driveshaft...
P1040492.jpg

So I set the stock shock up as droop setup and hacked the body...
P1040503.jpg

Next came bent links, slick sleeves, Losi Rock Claws and Kreepy foams, and a homemade dig setup…
P1040548.jpg

Next came a set of Integy stock, running them droop, and a 7-cell 2/3a split pack from cheapbatterypacks.com to give myself some much needed power…
P1040549.jpg

This setup worked well for me. I went to my first comp, I ran the novice class and placed 4th, which I thought was pretty well, but there was still some things that I didn't like...
P1040718.jpg

I didn't like how the links were mounted on the outside of the chassis, they always got hung up, the body mounts were too low, and the dig setup would bind if the axle was flexed. So I decided it was time for a rebuild...

I moved the links in, and while I was at it, I narrowed the whole chassis about 1.5". I moved the body mounts up higher on the chassis, bent in the lower part of the body to get more clearance, and swapped out the stock tranny for an R2 to solve my dig problem. I took it to the next comp and the truck was working almost perfectly, good enough to place 14th in my first shot at the 2.2 class…
P1040807.jpg

I still wasn't completely happy, after swapping in the R2, my gearing was all out of whack, the 8t pinion that came with the R2 had the gearing way too low, so I swapped to a 10t pinion before the comp and I got a little wheel speed back, but it still wasn't right. I also had a lot of slop in the drivelines since I was running Jato shafts on the stock AX-10 metal yokes.

To fix the driveline slop, I purchased the Traxxas replacements from CKRC, which helped out a lot. To fix the gearing problem, I decided to swap motors. I purchased a 35T Warrior from JP Custom's to replace my 55T Integy. I just installed it and wow what a difference!!! With the 8t pinion, I have more than enough wheel speed, not to mention a lot more torque! I tried to stall it out and even with an almost dead battery, I couldn't. I think the magnets in the motor are a lot stronger, because even though my ESC doesn't have a drag brake, it will now stop on hills instead of rolling like it use to, so that is a big plus. I can't wait to do some real crawling with it!

So here are the pics of how it looks today...
P1040862.jpg

P1040863.jpg

P1040864.jpg

P1040865.jpg

P1040866.jpg

P1040867.jpg

P1040868.jpg

Here are the current specs:
Warrior 35T
Rooster 12T
R2 disconnect tranny
5995tg steering servo
JR XR3i Tx/Rx
TCS Bent Links
Losi Rock Claws
Red Kreepy foams in the front with 6oz of lead/Pinks in the rear with 3oz of lead
Integy shocks
and a hacked up Betty Body

That's it...for now.

looks good les, am thinking about how to inboard my link mounts as well, they do hang up quite a bit, but we'll see what happens

Good luck getting them moved, I think it has been one of the better and easiest mods I have done.

I love how my chassis is now--really narrow and the inboarded links have made a huge difference

kool ax i have done about the same to mine. why do you have fuel tubing on your lower links? seems to me like it would make it harder to slide over rocks. then again wtf do i know:D