• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just another XJ

Drove it out of the shed yesterday for the first time since I started the rear stretch. Turned into quite the debacle when it fell of the jack stands forward and to the left. With no leafs springs in at the time, and falling up against the wall, it made finishing it up a real challenge.
Now I've got to build a driveshaft, bleed the brakes, cut the fenders out, and weld on a receiver hitch before Halloween.
04B540B8-898A-4813-8745-94DEBA2D017E.jpeg

My family started doing a hayride three years ago on Halloween. I take the day off, drag my trailer to my father in laws, load up his tractor, haul it to my sister in laws neighborhood, then decorate the float and tractor. Then at the end of the night, tear it all down and reverse order be home by 1am ish... My brother in law and I were the main two that always did this together. Since he passed it's become pretty special to me. So we make it a bit bigger every year. This year we're swapping the tractor for my Jeep.
AD3C973F-ADF7-4A58-8DD3-27F6AE1D3DD7.jpeg

Got it all done. Decided to do a couple 2lo launches on the driveway to see if it all holds up and I've got some awful axle wrap. Piecing together a traction bar right now.
From people with more experience than me, what's the key to avoiding binding with these? I know passenger side and as close to center as possible. I've doing bushings at the crossmember and axle side. 7/8 Heim at The shackle. 4" shackle.

but I've seen some where the bottom tube extends to the shackle and has almost a radius arm short "upper" and some they are flipped with a short lower. Any reason for that or just whatever they slung together?

And save your breath on telling me to link it. My wife surprised me and spent all our Jeep money on something. Coming soon...

only reason to build a long & low bottom tube is to make a "driveshaft skid"

Otherwise as long as it's above the plane of the leaf spring you aren't gaining anything.

If you were a lot closer I have a whole set up off my Yj you could have, I kept ripping mine off the axle end #fordpower
I appreciate that a lot man. I've got everything on order from Barnes that I needed. Most of which I had laying around in the shop with the exception of a couple brackets. I'll slap it together once it gets here and probably care it down to @Markrobinson to burn the brackets into the axle. I don't think my Handler 140 will do it...

I appreciate that a lot man. I've got everything on order from Barnes that I needed. Most of which I had laying around in the shop with the exception of a couple brackets. I'll slap it together once it gets here and probably care it down to @Markrobinson to burn the brackets into the axle. I don't think my Handler 140 will do it...
Sure it will, just bevel your bracket and stack some passes.

I think we originally welded mine on with the Hobart 140. It held till I got to Harlan and too many beers late at night in upper rock garden lol, then we welded it on with the stick welder at camp and when it ripped off the second time it actually tore a section out the axle tube, I'm sure with the 4.0 and auto you will be fine

I think we originally welded mine on with the Hobart 140. It held till I got to Harlan and too many beers late at night in upper rock garden lol, then we welded it on with the stick welder at camp and when it ripped off the second time it actually tore a section out the axle tube, I'm sure with the 4.0 and auto you will be fine
Don't count my 4.0 short! Haha

Sure it will, just bevel your bracket and stack some passes.
Wait, I gotta do the welderin too? You better bring ol grandad or at least jimmy beam to help

Traction bar is done.
Took it out this Weekend to aop. Had a hell of a time. Saw a whole bunch of friends we hadn't seen in a while. Did a TON of trail riding. And picked up my new to me 43's. Thanks @jeeptj99
E0F17B98-CD97-4CDB-AC70-5C006361CF14.jpeg
8DAC527F-057F-4EBF-AF72-EB1A306E3076.jpeg

Boy that onetondra sure has the squat :stir:
It absolutely did on that Return trip! Carried back all our camping gear, an LS motor motor for @whiskeymakin and 4 43's. Towed smooth as could be. I monitored up mont eagle again. Started the mountain at 197*. 201* at the top. And that includes getting cut off and slowed down fo 45ish then speeding back up to 70. I might look into adding air bags before I hookup my 45' gooseneck. :dblthumb:

It absolutely did on that Return trip! Carried back all our camping gear, an LS motor motor for @whiskeymakin and 4 43's. Towed smooth as could be. I monitored up mont eagle again. Started the mountain at 197*. 201* at the top. And that includes getting cut off and slowed down fo 45ish then speeding back up to 70. I might look into adding air bags before I hookup my 45' gooseneck. :dblthumb:
This was my first trip pulling with a WDH and even Brittany noticed it pulled smoother. No bounce between the trailer and truck. Other than the obvious higher RPMs, it really felt like there was nothing behind me.

Slight change of pace this weekend to unveil the new tires. We loaded up this morning, went to the Lebanon Christmas parade and fell in line with one of the Jeep clubs. @ridered3 and his wife joined us. We had a blast. The kids are already passed out. Big thanks to @jeeptj99 for the hookup on the tires.
E0D83937-B9D9-46FD-BF30-24E98FE3F774.jpeg
49B19710-DD16-4DD0-8A2C-614555BFA09E.jpeg
303F14F4-2F1F-4515-AFC5-A5B49536EDE1.jpeg

F568B165-A20D-42DD-B18E-1EB9D1255C7D.jpeg

Latest posts