• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just for fun...

GaryTJ

There are quite a few wanna be mechanics out there.
Lets see how good you are. No help from the professionals now!

These are basic questions I would ask to see if a person even qualifies for a real interview.

1. What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today’s vehicles?

2. Explain the reason for the A.I.R. system on modern vehicles, describe what it does, and what components make up that system.

3. What is an OBD readiness monitor?

4. What does the EVAP system do and how can you test for a problem with that system?

5. Which of the following can NOT cause a cranks/no start condition on a fuel injected engine?
May be more than 1 correct answer. Circle all possible causes.

Spark Plugs Timing belt MAF Sensor Ignition Coil

Starter Motor EGR Valve Fuel Pump Oxygen Sensor CKP Sensor

6. What is voltage drop? Explain how to test for it.

7. A car comes into the shop and has a p0301 code. Circle all the possible causes.

Spark Plug Timing Belt MAF Sensor Ignition Coil
Starter Motor EGR Valve Fuel Pump Oxygen Sensor CMP Sensor

8. What is the most likely cause of a p0440 code?

9. A car is towed in for a no start. A technician checks it out and says it cranks ok but will not start. What should be the first 4 things checked to narrow down the possible causes of the no start condition?

10. A Fuel injected vehicle is brought in and has a miss at idle on 1 cyl, but it runs fine over an idle. Power is fine and fuel economy is fine. Compression checks OK. What is the next thing to check and why?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. erg stands for exhaust gas recirculator (or something like that). not positive on how it works, but i think it uses vacuum to recirculate some of the exhaust back into the intake manifold, allowing it to be reburned and reducing emissions (i assume it reduces hydrocarbons)

5. Spark Plugs, MAF Sensor, Ignition Coil, Fuel Pump

9. make sure its getting spark and fuel, dunno what else.

how did i do?

Since nobody's done the whole thing yet

GaryTJ said:

These are basic questions I would ask to see if a person even qualifies for a real interview.

1. What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today's vehicles?
It stands for Eggnog Gettin' Rottin' and is caused when you accidentally leave the carton in the trunk for a couple of weeks. The valve is supposed to vent the smell into the exhaust. If you've ever noticed a rotten egg smell, you can solve this by replacing your Catalitic Converter, as the EGR valve dumps the smell before the Cat, causing it to clog

2. Explain the reason for the A.I.R. system on modern vehicles, describe what it does, and what components make up that system.
The Advanced Idiot Retractor is designed to keep people belted into their rig as it rolls down the mountain due to improper coil sprung geometry. If you were running a properly set up leaf sprung rig, this system would be un-neccessary. It works by pumping air into the seat belts, with a check valve thereby increasing retraction pressures

OBD, also know as Overly Bored Dude readiness monitor is also known as the Keyboard & Monitor. The typing and visual reflection device keeps many occupied all hours of the day and night. At times, diagnosis is done via interaction between the monitor and the computer which makes the vehicle run.

4. What does the EVAP system do and how can you test for a problem with that system?
The EVAP system is short for Extremely Violent Asswhipping Prevention. Currently employed by Kelly to prevent his comeuppance, it works by sucking all that is good and true in the Overly Bored Dude's search engine and filtering it thru a bullshit multilplier.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

5. Which of the following can NOT cause a cranks/no start condition on a fuel injected engine?

7. A car comes into the shop and has a p0301 code. Circle all the possible causes.

The p0301 code means your girlfriend is pregnant. Either get out the cigars or get out the checkbook.

9. A car is towed in for a no start. A technician checks it out and says it cranks ok but will not start. What should be the first 4 things checked to narrow down the possible causes of the no start condition?
First, check the liquer cabinet. Second, check the fridge. Third, check the pantry. If all these are without booze, run to the corner Bar, and get drunk. Fourth, check your keys with the bartender, 'cause you ain't drivin' home

10. A Fuel injected vehicle is brought in and has a miss at idle on 1 cyl, but it runs fine over an idle. Power is fine and fuel economy is fine. Compression checks OK. What is the next thing to check and why?

Check for Mike's phone number, as you need help.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
I'll give it a go.........

GaryTJ said:

1. What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today’s vehicles?
__Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It allows exhaust gasses into the intake mixture to "reburn" them. Improves emissions by burning hyrdocarbons that weren't completely burned the first time around. ______________________________

___Air Injection something or other. Pumps air into the cat converter to increase it's efficiency. There's an air pump, a check valve, and I'm sure some other mostly uninteresting components. __________________________________________________________

______Ummm.....it monitors the readiness of the on board diagnostics? __________________________________________________________

_________Isn't EVAP the system that burns off fuel vapors from the fuel tank by mixing them into the intake mixture? I'd guess you would test it by making sure the tank/cap are sealed and testing the solenoid. Maybe a vacuum pump on the EVAP line to see if vacuum bleeds off? Dunno....._______________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Probably not the plugs, unless they all spontaneously failed at once. MAF would still start but probably not very well. EGR wouldn't cause a no start. O2 sensor wouldn't either. Ummm, I guess if it's cranking, the starter is probably still happy.

____Voltage drop is the voltage across a resistance when current is flowing. Say you have a circuit with a battery, a light bulb, and some wire. The wire and the bulb each have resistance so each will get a voltage dropped across them when current flows. The bulb will get the vast majority of the source (battery) voltage but there will always be some voltage dropped across the wire as a loss. A bad wire or connection will have more resistance and create more of a voltage drop, which reduces voltage to the bulb. How's that for a low tech response?____________________________________________________________

Spark Plug Timing Belt MAF Sensor Ignition Coil
Starter Motor EGR Valve Fuel Pump Oxygen Sensor CMP Sensor

________I don't know any OBDII codes. ______________________________________

______Check for fuel pressure. Check for spark. Check for injector pulses. Check for trouble codes. __________________________________________________________

Ummmm.....dunno. I'd think if it had a bad injector or plug on #1, it wouldn't go away off-idle. Maybe something to do with a crank or cam position sensor?

TreeClimber said:
Since nobody's done the whole thing yet
__________________________________________________ ______________

The p0440 code is caused when the p0301 code occured but the vehicle isn't being driven.
__________________________________________________ ______________

This is the funnest damn thing I have ever read right there :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Someone started the engine and took it for a test drive when you weren't looking :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

GaryTJ said:

1. What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today's vehicles?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. Its used to recirculate some of the majorly unburnt exhaust gasses back into the intake tract to be reburnt in an attempt to control emissions. It is necessary for this same reason, to help control emissions output of motor vehicles and reduce air pollution.

I got nothing on this one...

I believe that this is the area of the OBD system where with the appropriate scan tool, you can check to see that the appropriate sensors are ready to be used. I'm sure theres a better way to put it, but Its sort of a self check of the sensors to try and make sure they're working.

Evap system is the evaporative emissions system, which is a system that tries to control and burn much of the evaporative emissions of the car such as fuel vapor from the tank. This system is typically sealed to an extent, and usually can be checked with various implements of vacuum testers, or smoke machines to generate and fill the system with smoke to check for leaks. Also check the gas cap, 9/10 times thats why its throwing the code :flipoff:

Starter Motor, EGR Valve

Voltage drop is the loss of electrical current from one point to another, caused by resistance, such as with battery cables and corrosion. Testing for voltage drop can be performed by simply taking a reading at each end of the circuit using the same common power point. For instance with battery cables, you could measure the drop across the cable by using the positive terminal on the battery and checking the voltage at that end of the cable, then using the same terminal on the battery, check the voltage at the other end of the cable (say the starter). This will show a difference in voltage, which can be interpreted as a voltage drop. ...Err something?

Since you said we cant use outside resources, I have no idea. I would have to look it up first to see what it is before I could give you possible causes.

I say gas cap being off/broken, see above :D

OBD Codes, Spark, Fuel, Air Intake

I would think you would want to check for correct spark on that cylinder, if it has a DIS system, a bad coil could cause a bad spark at idle. Also, the fuel injectors themselves could cause a miss at an idle. I would also look for vacuum leaks just for fun, haha

Those are my best guesses. My diagnosis is limited, I was a parts swapping bitch for less than a year. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of what I need to know/work on, so thats good enough for me :D

~T.J.

Last edited:
Exhaust gas recirculation has nothing to do with re burning gas. I'm no mechanic but the way I understand it- Exhaust gas is already burned for the most part. In the efforts to get better economy auto makers leaned out the fuel mixture. Being too lean is a bad thing for the engine so they let exhaust into the intake to counteract the lean condidtion. The exhaust basically acts as a inert gas for this purpose.

Don't know how accurate it is but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:;

junkyard jim said:
The serious answers have been the funniest so far!

Ok, so where are your answers? I've never worked as an auto mechanic so I'm sure most of mine aren't exactly correct. You appear to have done everything known to man with the exception of walking on the moon (or did I miss that particular post?) so I'd like to see how well you do.

Fordfrk06 - Not very good

Tree Climber Funny :)

Whiz bang chris - not too bad but not even close to getting an interview.

84 toy 4x4 - not bad, but you go too far too fast, concentrate on the basics. Not good enough for an interview.

Binder - 1/2 right, but closer than anyone so far.

How do you expect people to answer the code # questions /w no outside resources? I don't even have 'em all memorized :flipoff:

I see nobody's got the EGR reason yet.... When can we play? hehehe

What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today's vehicles?
EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". The EGR valve controls exhaust recirculation into the intake air stream.
EGR lowers the combustion temperature to prevent nitrogen oxide emissions, which are a major cause of smog. I forget the exact nitrogen compounds in question, and I forget the target temperatur, so sue me :flipoff:
It is necessary because the EPA says so :flipoff:

MAF Sensor, Starter Motor, EGR Valve, Oxygen Sensor

Mental compression check (listen to cranking), spark, fuel delivery, check plugs for wetting/fouling on a carbed engine, listen for injector pulse on EFI engine.

Spark plug (although who's the tard who did a compression check without checking the plug :haha: ). Next thing would be a crusty injector.
Oh, why? Whacky spark plug gap or fouling will cause silliness. Crusty injectors cause poor fuel atomization which effects low load combustion more than high load.
The plug wire would also be near the top of the list, depending.

Last edited:
Avanteone said:
How do you expect people to answer the code # questions /w no outside resources? I don't even have 'em all memorized :flipoff:

I see nobody's got the EGR reason yet.... When can we play? hehehe

I was not looking for anybody to have the codes memorized, Even though these two should be known by any competant mechanic. I was just wanting people to do their own work instead of copying a trained persons answer.

OK, you can all play now!

Quoted from Crusty

What does an E.G.R. valve do? Why is it necessary on today's vehicles?
EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". The EGR valve controls exhaust recirculation into the intake air stream.
EGR lowers the combustion temperature to prevent nitrogen oxide emissions, which are a major cause of smog. I forget the exact nitrogen compounds in question, and I forget the target temperatur, so sue me :flipoff:
It is necessary because the EPA says so :flipoff:

Very good! But if you think about it, it is a good thing to have. You can advance the timing farther without detonation.

MAF Sensor, Starter Motor, EGR Valve, Oxygen Sensor

Good.

Mental compression check (listen to cranking), spark, fuel delivery, check plugs for wetting/fouling on a carbed engine, listen for injector pulse on EFI engine.

That is more than 4, and you got 3 right

Spark plug (although who's the tard who did a compression check without checking the plug :haha: ). Next thing would be a crusty injector

In the right area, I could go with that.

Last edited: