• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

keep frying alternators

outhouse

my alternator keeps frying in my buggy. its a stock 4.3 si with an internal regulator. i have the charge post going strait to the battery. the ground is grounded to the chassis, i have the red wire from the plug spliced in to the charge wire that goes to my battery. and the brown wire from the plug going to 12v ign. switch. i went thru and made sure that all the connections were good. are the red and brown wires backwards? thats all i can think of. but the diagram that im look ing at says its rite. i dont know what else it could be.

my alternator keeps frying in my buggy. its a stock 4.3 si with an internal regulator. i have the charge post going strait to the battery. the ground is grounded to the chassis, i have the red wire from the plug spliced in to the charge wire that goes to my battery. and the brown wire from the plug going to 12v ign. switch. i went thru and made sure that all the connections were good. are the red and brown wires backwards? thats all i can think of. but the diagram that im look ing at says its rite. i dont know what else it could be.

You should change this. Run it to a common terminal which runs your other accessories.

You should change this. Run it to a common terminal which runs your other accessories.

I understand what your saying, but be carefull. when dealing with DC systems Common terminal refers to a negative terminal.

might confuse somebody

Good infor though:awesomework:

like the main power terminal for my fuse block?

Yes....Common as in common junction for the positive side of the system....Basically this is a voltage sensing wire so wherever you tap it into the alternator will try to maintain voltage (probably ~14) at that point. If you tap right into the charge wire it doesn't really know what the rest of the system is doing, essentially made a one wire system which sucks azz.:puke:

cool thanks guys, so you think sence it was in the charge wire it was just over charging and frying the voltage regulator. ill let you know what comes out of it. thanks again.

cool thanks guys, so you think sence it was in the charge wire it was just over charging and frying the voltage regulator. ill let you know what comes out of it. thanks again.

Something like that....I've heard of people who had hooked them up like you did and had them catch fire while others who did it had it work fine for them. I think it depends upon the rest of the system but if it were mine I would just change it.
You should do some searching and reading on the net about 3 wire alternators. Learn how they work and it will make better sence....Also make sure the main charge wire is large enough for the job.
Good luck.:awesomework:

Something like that....I've heard of people who had hooked them up like you did and had them catch fire while others who did it had it work fine for them. I think it depends upon the rest of the system but if it were mine I would just change it.
You should do some searching and reading on the net about 3 wire alternators. Learn how they work and it will make better sence....Also make sure the main charge wire is large enough for the job.
Good luck.:awesomework:

ya it seems to be working, i ran it for about 10 min. but its charging at close to 16v. i dont know if its trying to catch up or what but its charging. will see if it makes it thru the weekend. and ill read around on 3 wire set ups, thanks for the in put.

What brand of alt are you buying?

auto zone, duralast duralast!!!

Your brown wire needs to go through a resistor or you can use a light bulb in a socket to power when you put your ign on.

duralast is about the worst of the alternators out there right now, id recommend a different brand also. bosch or even autolite would be a better alternative. also try and get a new one not a reman.

ya its a delo. i didn't think that that was rite. its brand new! :mad: would you recommend a sertain brand?

The reason I asked is because some have adjustable regulators but yours should not. I now have a Bosch and it's worked much better for me than the Delco's I used to run....Maybe someone could chime in on a better brand reman Delco than what you have?

ok so i put the resister in it and its still pushing 16-17v and getting hot to the point that you cant put your hand on it wile running. and when turned off with the ing off it gets worm. Imo going to try bigger wire going to my starter silonoid. the only thing now that is different than the diagram is that i have my brown wire hooked up to my ing instead of my coil +

Do you have a R&E Auto Electric or Romine Electric up there?
We use R&E in Tacoma and they are good to answer ?'s and get better quality parts from than Shucks or Vatozone.

Any rebuilder in the area should help you out...............

so i got tiered of the stock alternator not working for me so i went and got a 1 wire and it works TITS!!! thanks guys, i guess i get to go wheeling this weekend!!!!

When you get tired of the one wire leaving you dead on the trail come back and we'll help you get back to set up with a 3 wire.:awesomework:

1 wire's are for streetrods that want a clean look not for trucks with winches and lots of lights. You won't get **** for amps unless you're running 1300rpms+....................