• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

KOH spinoff instead of derailing the Plowboy thread

L

lowbudgetjunk

Tow rig, trailer, Ultra 4 qualified car, spare parts, place to stay, fuel, food, entry fees.

What is a realistic number to race KOH? LBJ, I know, I get it. Lotsa money, lotsa money, lotsa money. But, I would like to meet this goal one day. I wouldn't purchase, have a vehicle built or (ha,ha, ha) borrow a race vehicle that wasn't ready for the biggest show. If its 100k, that's a number to build to. If its more or less, that's OK too. I just want to get a base price and start a budget to eventually try and race. I did like the idea of local endurance racing to get a feel for it and will definitely need to build up to KOH, but I would still like to get some racers opinions on a starting point. Also notice, I didn't say win. Hell, I didn't even say finish, though that would be the extent of my eventual goal.

I've always wondered myself, and I too would like to race in the king of hammers. But never wanted to ask... It would be awesome to be able to rent a very respectable rig (car) and race it. Or even better yet, someone says take it cuz iknow you can drive better than me! :tc

I think its like 20K just to rent a spec car for the week, that doesn't even include the entry fee.

I know this sounds bad, but 20k sounds like a steal as opposed to building, tuning, qualifying all in your own junk. Well,for me junk.

I guess I can help out here. :****:

We went in 2009 finished 23rd,2010 finished 24th,2010 finished 34th with fist gear only and 2014 Adam called it at mile 80 after running 80 miles with a broke rear locker.You don't do those rocks without one.

We've pretty much did it every way you can.Sleeping in a cold ass enclosed trailer to a real nice Motor home. Adam and I have swapped driving between just the two of us the whole 36 hour non stop trip.

We left last Feb and drove straight through going out and made one motel shower stop coming back burning around $2500.00 in Diesel fuel and $100.00 for the motel.

We had a 30" camper waiting on us when we got there for another $1900.00

Potty pumping for 3 adults was around $150.00.These guy's are the real winners but worth every cent.

Entry fee's were $1650.00

I can't really remember some of the other U4 fee's but stuff like $100.00 for tech and some more for Insurance starts adding up quick.

If you need shock tuning that's another days time and $300.00

Food is there but expensive so that's your call.Even though hot food starts smelling real good after a while.

I guess after pre running,race and if you have a few pit bike's or 4 Wheeler's you can burn 50 or so gallons of gas. You can count on everything being a $1.00 a gallon more once you cross the California Communist border.

What ever you plan on not breaking on your race car just throw that in the **** can,it will break.

Trailer tires,you can't have enough. We've had as many as 6 flats,even starting out with new tires and wheels.

Tow pig,make sure it's up for a long haul with some of the longest uphill pulls you'll ever do.

You will need a quiet generator.Some folks like to sleep.

You can't take enough fuel jugs.A 55 gal barrel with a pump would be nice.

Spare parts.You need everything you can haul. It's got to where you can almost buy what you need there.

The wind WILL blow. It will be cold one minute and comfortable the next.Goggles,Helmets and plenty of clothes.

I'm sure I'll think of more and I'll post as it hit me.

You can plan the trip out and have one of the best week's of your like.

Now on to the best part.The CAR you will be racing.You cant spend enough to keep up with the Jones's and Smith's.(Campbel's and Slawson's)

As of now Adam can set you up in your very own KOH approved,Best In The Desert tagged Single set race ready car for a small sum. He can even set you up in a two seat car.

The experience of KOH is really Priceless. It's just That Damn Big !!!

It's 17k plus race fee, insurance, tracker, plus whatever you break. Could be very costly.

I never understand those who finish a rig to put it right on a trailer or finish it on the lake bed and try to race without any testing or tuning. More times then not, the outcome isn't good for them. Seems like such a waste of time, money, and people's time that help them. It's not like this race has a verying date, but it's always the same.

You don't need a 100k car or one close to it to be competitive. Build a respectable car, test, test, tune, modify, and then go for a top 10 finish. I'm working on a Jimmys car right. I'm not even trying to run KOH this year but will be in the east coast u4 races this year. That race will not affect points because 1 race is allowed to be dropped, and most drop the koh points. I working on a solid axle car, and have written lots of sponsorship emails, shown up at a reputable engine build shop to build my 6.2 and turned that into a sponsorship, and continue to work. No, I don't get anything free but very little bit helps.

Koh is no doubt the mecca race where that is the only race some people enter. All the big manufactures are there, and it's the place to be seen and heard.

Are you talking racing period? Unlimited? EMC? You can buy a car that is ready to race (pass tech) for a pretty reasonable price. I've seen a few in the $25-30k range. There's one in the forum now for $65k.

I'm no racer, but I think stock class EMC would be the way to go just starting out. Racing and competing are also different IMO. Regardless of the race class, I don't think you could expect to make the trip with your own rig for any less than what the arrive and drive spec class costs.

All good replies. Please keep them coming. I am sure a lot of folks really enjoy the read.

I was thinking pass tech, seat time and suspension tuning would be most important. I have just now got back to riding for fun, but I have always wanted to race. I wasn't allowed as a child, couldn't afford it up until now, but would like to start with a proven chassis and just log hours and hours of seat time. I saw a KOH winner, 2009 I believe, for sale for under 60k with recently tuned suspension. In a couple of years, I could make that a reality. I have just started reading about qualifying, points,etc. Lots to learn.

Anything about crew, co drivers, etc would be appreciated. I am guessing an engineer is probably good to have around, mechanic, local idiot that doesn't mind going fast and not having a steering wheel.

lowbudgetjunk said:
All good replies. Please keep them coming. I am sure a lot of folks really enjoy the read.

I was thinking pass tech, seat time and suspension tuning would be most important. I have just now got back to riding for fun, but I have always wanted to race. I wasn't allowed as a child, couldn't afford it up until now, but would like to start with a proven chassis and just log hours and hours of seat time. I saw a KOH winner, 2009 I believe, for sale for under 60k with recently tuned suspension. In a couple of years, I could make that a reality. I have just started reading about qualifying, points,etc. Lots to learn.

Anything about crew, co drivers, etc would be appreciated. I am guessing an engineer is probably good to have around, mechanic, local idiot that doesn't mind going fast and not having a steering wheel.

"Local idiot" thanks a lot asshole. :flipgotcha:

Re: Re: KOH spinoff instead of derailing the Plowboy thread

lowbudgetjunk said:

My Co driver is very mechanically inclined, and wheeled for many years. You need to be in shape along with the Co dog. 8+ hours is a long time to be bumped around. In dirt riot last year I cut a tire and took out my rear drive shaft that was colberated together after the first heat in Kentucky. This was a short course race. Co dog handled taking off the rear drive shaft while sprinted back to pits in a fire suit, find sockets and such, and a high lift. Pouring sweat and knowing I wouldn't get the damn tire changed and rear drive shaft off about the time the short race was over, I didn't care. I did finish about the time Big Rich said the race was over.

Tech pass isn't that bad. For u4 they have a sheet with basics of what you need. Shock tuning is huge and will dictate your speed, how you climb rocks, and your overall personal energy level.

I have a pretty large race team that some people help with some races and others with a different race. Greatful of those who do help when they can. Seat time is something that i guess you can never have enough. Every change that's made of significance will change how the car handles therefore you will have to learn how it will behave all over again. Knowing the limits and where and when to push things. I choose to run an OD trans with a 2.0 low range to race all day in low range. The engine can handle up to 7200 rpm's to handle the low range, but I get all the extra tq after turning and dodging the tree. It's a compromise of budget and the parts to win, but always member that you did this to have fun.

Re:

The last sentence hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't mind winning some type of race, but I do want to do it for fun while on a budget that I set for myself. I wouldn't even bring this up if I didn't think I would have fun.

Kel Lawrence

Support crew is a big part of this race. Finding 3 or 4 guys to go and spend the money to be there is important. You can make it work with one pit crew but more is better. Finding another team to pit with is a big plus. But that can all go out the window when one car is way ahead or behind the other.

Gotta figure on all the support crew and stuff on top of just parts and the car. How is everyone getting out there? What about pit trucks? How you gonna split parts and tools up between the pits?

To just go and race and say you have done it is one thing but to compete and be there at the end take a lot more then most people think about.

The local races will give you a big insight into what all it take to race. If you have never done it it will open your eyes big time to what all it takes race.

My God.. So pretty much it's a race for the wealthy? I mean ****.. I ain't poor, but that's stupid expensive. Hard to believe that much money just for a race in the desert. I'll just go to Choco and pretend I'm there. FAWK that. It would be aweosme don't get me wrong. Think I'll leave that to yall. All that money to get sandblasted, starved, break my rig, tow rig, and thousands of dollars .. Lemme think.. Ummmm.. NO. That's nuts. Ok maybe if I won the lotto but I can't see me pissin away money like that. Diff strokes for diff folks I know.. But Im blown away from POPS post.. Sounds like HELL not a fun time. Hell That Ya actually have to pay to go to.

Thanks to BKF, I've been looking for Toterhomes. Seems like the most logical choice to make the haul out there. From what I have read, looked up and been told by you guys.....100k could get me to the one race. Qualifiers, broken parts, testing and tuning another $50k. Then I need some folks around to make it all work. If the numbers are way off let me know. This is a few years out, but if I am going to achieve the goal, I need to start planning. :dblthumb:

ECORS and Dirt Riot the two better endurance series?

IMO, if you just want the experience, the spec car rental is the way to go. The car is delivered, debugged, tuned, and includes support. The only big risk with that is #1 paying for what you break / or if you wreck it and #2 its dependability all hinges on how well it was prepped, which I've heard can be terrible sometimes (I would be furious). I know there are several more spec cars in the works, so their availability should only get better.

knaffie said:
IMO, if you just want the experience, the spec car rental is the way to go. The car is delivered, debugged, tuned, and includes support. The only big risk with that is #1 paying for what you break / or if you wreck it and #2 its dependability all hinges on how well it was prepped, which I've heard can be terrible sometimes (I would be furious). I know there are several more spec cars in the works, so their availability should only get better.

With this, you get very little seat time though. I want to log hours and hours and make it to as many parks as possible.

I raced for the first time last year. Dirt Riot southeast. Had a freaking blast even with a DNF.
Your basic tow rig and trailer can get you to all the races in the southeast. Entry fees that don't break the bank too.
I would build a rig that can pass tech and be able to use recreationally too, that way you get a ton of seat time and a feel for things.

I hope I can be involved this year too.

lowbudgetjunk said:
With this, you get very little seat time though. I want to log hours and hours and make it to as many parks as possible.

The thread title and first post didn't say "as many parks as possible" it said KOH. If you want the run the whole U4 circuit, that's different than one race.