• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Landcruiser owners Question.

landbruiser1

What are you guys running for engines? Anybody still got there 6cyl?
if so, what are you running for a carb? Thanks guys.
I have the stock engine, with a header and aftermarket intake with a holley. great on the street sucks in the woods going up a hill. looking to see what other guys are running.:beer:

'73 with the stock F, and one of these on top of it. Not sure what size though... Runs like CRAP cold and barely at that, but it runs like a champ once warm. Guess I'm just too used to having FI. :redneck: As far as offroad I haven't had it on any hills yet, just on road and wheelin' my flat property. Oh ya, it's got some sort of exhaust header on it too.

Last edited:
skrause said:
'73 with the stock 2, and one of these on top of it. Not sure what size though... Runs like CRAP cold and barely at that, but it runs like a champ once warm. Guess I'm just too used to having FI. :redneck: As far as offroad I haven't had it on any hills yet, just on road and wheelin' my flat property. Oh ya, it's got some sort of exhaust header on it too.

Yep, that the same carb I have. Mine is brandnew and I am trying to get it to work.

Dear landbruiser1;
I have an '83 with the stock 2F motor and an MC2100 carb with 1.08" venturies. It runs pretty darned good with that setup too.
Your friend;
LAMAR

landbruiser1 said:
Yep, that the same carb I have. Mine is brandnew and I am trying to get it to work.

Quit tring, those suck offroad, I had one on a V8, even if you looked at a hill it would start fueling up, so I put a Weber 38/38, been great will run at pretty decent angles.

I have seen lots of people run the 38/38 on a f or 2f motor, some have run the 32/36, but I haven't heard alot of good stuff about those.

chevy 350 with quadrajet. Works adequately for trails, sand, snow.

The great thing about holly carbs is that they are small enough to throw 50ft to the garbage can at the end of the driveway.:D

Seriously, hollys are fine on the street but NOT offroad.
Stock seems to work okay or I've even heard of rochester 2barrels working nicely. I'd recommend checking out IH8MUD.com for more cruiser info that you can possibly read.

Tankota said:
chevy 350 with quadrajet. Works adequately for trails, sand, snow.

The great thing about holly carbs is that they are small enough to throw 50ft to the garbage can at the end of the driveway.:D

Seriously, hollys are fine on the street but NOT offroad.
Stock seems to work okay or I've even heard of rochester 2barrels working nicely. I'd recommend checking out IH8MUD.com for more cruiser info that you can possibly read.

Thanks, I am looking into some other options, I am on Mud all the time, but those guys are kind of picky about there info and real dicks about the search crap.

I've still got the stock 64 "Early" F.

Since I still have the original intake manifold, the best carb for it, by far, was the stock one-barrel. Mine finally got too worn to rebuild anymore since the vacuum leak around the throttle shaft was not easily remedied. When it worked well, it ran fine at just about any angle that kept the tires on the ground.

I ended up converting to a Weber 32/36. It actually runs pretty well, but I'm still not sure it's working to it's potential due to the crappy throttle linkage that I haven't gotten around to fixing (don't ever buy anything from JTOutfitters). The throttle response is smoother than the stock one, but it doesn't handle sidehills very well in comparison.

If you still have the stock cylinder head on your 66 motor, you're really limited in what you can fit. The stock intake manifold is set up for a 1bbl, and adapter plates to anything other than a Weber 2bbl (either a 32/36 or a 38/38) are virtually nonexistant unless you make your own. It sounds like you have an aftermarket intake manifold, so the bolt pattern may be a little more universal which would open up more options.

All that said, you don't need a very big carb. It's basically a 3.9L tractor motor and with a header realistically redlines at about 4K rpm or so? I RARELY get mine over 3K. I don't know how many CFM that is, but it's not anywhere close to what most of those carbs designed for SBCs.

cruiser power

Don't waste your money on anything but a chev 350 swap. They are a lighter motor, better power, better milage, you can cruise comfortably down the freeway. Conversion parts are getting cheaper, 2f minimal upgrade parts are getting more expensive. Unless you are a cruiser fanatic who likes oem parts, you will probably install a v-8 down the road anyway so why waste your money on 2F upgrades. I run a mildly built chev 350 with fuel injection in my 72 FJ40 and I love the skinny pedal. I have done many conversions and still get blown away on how much better it makes the cruisers drive, it makes it a whole new rig.

I am planning a Small Block swap, but I am still collecting parts and am not going to start until I have everything, I have seen to many guys start and years later still have a torn apart wheeler sittin in there garage.
My rig has a newer motor with an aftermarket intake and header. It works now with the tractor motor I am just looking at getting it so I can go up a hill without having to put it to the floor the entire time..

Dear landbruiser1;
Do not sell the Toyota F series motor short my friend! They are perhaps the finest I-6 engine ever built and I have a ride with 425,000 kilometers on the clock to prove this out. The particular engine that I am talking about has never had the head off and I am trying to get it to 500K kilometers just to see if it will make it. So far, so good. It doesn't consume oil or show a noticeable lack of fuel economy. It does have a tendency to diesel or to 'run on" when using cheap fuel but other than that it keeps running. I've driven a couple of SBC FJ-40s in the past and while the acceleration and top end performance is awesome, for down deep low end *grunt* nothing and I mean NOTHING can match the torque that the F series motor is famous for. I do understand that in the USA parts for the F series motor are getting rare but we don't suffer from that problem here in Bolivia. There are a myriad of ways which you can improve the performance of the F series too. The carb is one prime example. Most ppl use the Weber swap however I much prefer the realibility and dependability of the MC2100. The ignotion system is another area which can be improved upon too. The stock points, or the semi-electronic ignition system found on later engines can be swapped out for a full GM HEI unit and the performance improvement is incredible. Exhaust headers also help a great deal, and where I've seen headers for the F series for sale, I've always built my own headers with good success. The head is an area which can be improved upon and the nice thick casting of the F series head neans that a person can port to his hearts' content. Also, since all F series motors are built on the same platform, you can mix and match parts and components between the various series to your hearts' contents. One of my favorite formulas is to start with an original F series block and use either the F series or 2F series crank with 3F rods and F or 2F pistons, punched out 30 over to 60 over. I always use the F series crank and cam gears because they are both stell, whereas the later 2Fs and 3Fs use a fiber cam gear. The steel gears are more noisy but much more dependable. I also balance the rotating assembly before installation and re-work the oil pump to get higher volume. After it's assembled, installed and tuned a SBC has to work very hard to beat this engine on the street or the trail.
Your friend;
LAMAR