• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Last minute evans run.......

I firmly believe it has not been blocked or labeled AT ALL.

I have wheeled many more times at evans than you have pokey and I have never seen you or the blockage or signage.

If you want it known that is closed then block it properly or sign it properly. Im not talking about winching a log across the entrance or stapling a plastic sign to a tree.

Ive seen trails blocked so no access can be had. This one has never had much effort put into blockin it or making it clear that you are entering a "bootleg" trail.

I know for a fact I could block it for good. apparently its not important enough to get a proper closure.

Just my observations from being there and actually wheeling.:kissmyass:

Brad please get some new material :haha: While you were most likly out playing yesterday I was up at Elbe working to help keep your ability to have a place to play. While its true I dont get out as much as I did when I was your age I still get out quite a bit. When my rig is done I will be out on the trails (in my own rig) as much as I can until then I ride with others. I cant understand why you have this need to belittle the very people that keep your trails open so you can go wheeling every weekend and I guess I never will:booo: Oh well you keep enjoying going wheeling and I will keep working to ensure you have a place to do so. And Brad I have been wheeling at Evans since 1979 so your little claim to fame is just that

I agree and for the life of me I cant quite understand why the FS hasn't taken a better effort to do a more substantial effort at closing it. We have blocked the trail many times with the equip. that we have but unfortunately there are many people out there with the same equip. used to remove the barricades. These are the same people that have absolutely no regards for our trail system. All they are interested in is their own selfish enjoyment. I can only guess that as we see the new plan start to take shape at Evans we will see substantial blockades as there will be money for them. I would hope that responsible users that frequent this board as well as others would spread the word that this trail is closed and respect that closure as well.

So all this effort to close the trail how about effort to get it to be an approved trail?

I'm not sure who %^$# is but I heard similar complaints about them doing stupid stuff at Elbe as well. I would guess from your response that you're either with *&^%$ or know people who are? I personally know nothing about the club itself nor anyone involved with it. But I know that they've been mentioned on a short list of possible problem groups at Elbe.

Dale, I guess one of the stupid things we(@%$#!) did was pull your ass out of a mud hole at Elbe when you were sunk up to your doors last winter and your buddy rolled his Jeep in the same hole. I guess we should have left you and your family there. :looser:
We caused all kinds of problems at Elbe when one of our club members, a mason, fixed the fireplace in the shelter so it wouldn't fall...ONE OF THE MANY things we have done to help Elbe and our sport. People really need to get there stories straight!

Jim, I hope you can close this tread before Dale and others spout off anymore. Thanks

Bent, I PM'd you and NWSheetmetal with info that I have.

My apologies for bringing this up on a public forum, that was a mistake.

I went back to edit my posts but Pokey had just beat me to it, so I left if alone.

So all this effort to close the trail how about effort to get it to be an approved trail?

In all reality if we were to try and build Evans where it is now it would never happen. The enviromental rules have changed so much over the years that the liklyhood of ever getting a new trail in there is next to none. We are pretty much stuck at what we have all stemming back to the original design.

Bent, I PM'd you and NWSheetmetal with info that I have.

My apologies for bringing this up on a public forum, that was a mistake.

I went back to edit my posts but Pokey had just beat me to it, so I left if alone.

I think the moral of the story is "we need to work together and stop pissing back and forth like children". I'm not sure who NWSHEETMETAL is, did you mean Metalbender?

Its a bootleg trail and always has been. It was never a legal trail. Its been blocked off and signed several times only to be reopened by asshats that dont care about our trails system.

I firmly believe it has not been blocked or labeled AT ALL.

Just my observations from being there and actually wheeling.:kissmyass:

I saw the signs when it was first closed but nothing since. When Moto invited me along a few months ago you could see the trail but most people would know it's not a legal trail.

It would take lot of work to really close that trail due to the landscaping.

I think the moral of the story is "we need to work together and stop pissing back and forth like children". I'm not sure who NWSHEETMETAL is, did you mean Metalbender?

HAHA, yeah. I remembered that it was metal something.

Since I brought it up in public, so is my apology to you guys and your club. It's one of those times when you hit submit, read what you said and then it's too late to "unsubmit".

Thanks for moderating this Pokey.

HAHA, yeah. I remembered that it was metal something.

Since I brought it up in public, so is my apology to you guys and your club. It's one of those times when you hit submit, read what you said and then it's too late to "unsubmit".

Thanks for moderating this Pokey.

Thanks Dale, That is big of you too say. We will always be there to help folks in need on the trail and we will try to be a larger part of the work parties to come. :kiss:

That particular trail has been VERY well blocked to the point that the only way to gain access was to expend considerable energy to remove the blockade.

We shouldn't HAVE to create a formidable blockade to block access to a trail that is not marked and not indicated on a map. The blockage should be respected and understood. I don't believe this is done by uneducated users. I understand them following trails that they don't know are not open. This kind of action is taken by users that clearly know that the trail is off limits and choose to undo all the work by people trying to help, because they only think of themselves and the fun that they want to have, and screw everyone else.

I agree and for the life of me I cant quite understand why the FS hasn't taken a better effort to do a more substantial effort at closing it.

This is an issue I have brought up several times...put up some signs. If the signs get ripped down or shot up...put up some more. Repeat.

Make it so the honest folks can stay honest...they won't venture down a trail that is clearly signed closed, but if there is no sign & they are new to the area....how are they supposed to know?

The problem with Evans is its a poor excuse for an "ORV" park. It offers next to nothing for anyone with a t-case. The fairly recent vandalism on the lower 311 is not helping matters either. Snow is the only reason to go there.
People are only creating new trails because they are bored of all flat and featureless legal trails.

The problem with Evans is its a poor excuse for an "ORV" park. It offers next to nothing for anyone with a t-case. The fairly recent vandalism on the lower 311 is not helping matters either. Snow is the only reason to go there.
People are only creating new trails because they are bored of all flat and featureless legal trails.

I beg to differ, but that is my opinion, and everybody has one. Evans is not flat... Tahuya, that is flat (yet still fun).
I love Evans, and it's my favorite place to go (being so close to it helps).
I haven't heard about the vandalism on the lower 311, but oh well.

If I came across a 4x4 trail at Evans not blocked off and well traveled......I'd wheel it too. Same goes for Elbe and Walker.

Just saying......

I beg to differ, but that is my opinion, and everybody has one. Evans is not flat... Tahuya, that is flat (yet still fun).
I love Evans, and it's my favorite place to go (being so close to it helps).
I haven't heard about the vandalism on the lower 311, but oh well.

Twoish years ago I was on 33s I thought Evans was cool too. Tahuya is flat and Evans is on a hill, this is not what I meant by "flat." What I was refering to is the way 85% of the actual trails there are basically tight forest service roads.

The vandalism happened mid to late last summer. The whole lower 311 got paved. Anything along the trail that was not perfectly smooth was made that way. Rocks were used to fill in the low spots and the high spots were knocked down to level. They chainsawed some of the tree roots that stuck out into the trail as well. Just savage destruction.

You remember this obsticle about halfway through the lower 311?

Photo-0069.jpg

This used to be a good one. For a while it would deny rigs with lockers and 33s. GONE. Completely filled in by rock. It is now the smoothest part of the trail. BTW that photo of my first ZJ was taken back when I thought Evans was cool too.

As it is I run the 197 like I am being timed. My rig will do 35, almost 40 mph in low range. I can reach those speeds at times during a run up the lower 311. Fast or snow is what is needed to make Evans fun. Yes, we NEED more challenge there.

the thing i like about evans, is that its mild wheeling.. nothing to hard, don't have to worry bout breaking (generally) and the camping is pretty good.

If i can't find somebody to go wheeling with, i can go to evans and toodle around all day.