• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LED Tail lights on First Gen Toy

wentz912

So I've installed LED Tail lights on my 81 toyota and everything seems to work fine, except when I turn on either blinker in the cab, both of them flash.

I am using truck lite brand 60 series (oval) three wire lights(One for Turn/stop, one for tail, and one for ground)

WTF?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm seriously frustrated and have been searching the interwebs for over 2 hours now and haven't found anything to help.

The only thing I can think of is that since the brake lights in the factory harness use one common ground all the way to the back, and that since the trun and stop are spliced into the same wire at the light, that power is back feeding through the connected brake circuit and making both sides blink whenever I use one or the other.

What do I need to do?

Would adding a resistor in the blinker power wire before it meets the brake power wire do anythign for me?

You need a trailer lighting converter...the 1st gen yotas use a separate amber lens for the turn bulb; the converter makes it so the turn and stop work on a single light setup as you now have....

Yes, you can add a resistor or get a new electronic flasher to replace the mechanical one. LED's don't draw enough amps to heat up the coil in the old flashers. Kev is right too a converter is needed but you will likely still need a new flasher.

Last edited:
I have the same lights on my 1st gen. They sell a little box at any auto parts store that is generally used for trailer wiring. The box converts from the 2 tail light set up that the toyota has to a 4 light setup that you are trying to do. Its is a simple install.

Kev-do you have any sort of diagram available on how the vox needs to be wired in? Don't need specific colors or anything just very generic.

Ain't Stuck-I couldn't care less about the lights flashing fast. I just need to have blinkers that will flash independently of each other.

Wilbilt-I'm not using 4 seperate light assemblies, I am using only two lights total, one per side. Each light is responsible for all rear light tasks. Turn/stop/tail all in one light, just like the stock.

That's the problem. Toyota uses a brake light and a seperate blinker bulb.
You are trying to use 1 bulb to do both therefore you need the converter. There cheap and way easy to install.:awesomework:

I understand that. I guess what I was trying to get acrss is that each 6" oval light has tail and brake/blinker (2) and you have a left and right (2) that is where I got 4. Like I said I have the same setup and it works.:awesomework:

Go buy a converter box at the parts store---the directions are stupid simple, and it has a diagram right on the converter box IIRC...
Basicall you bring the left and right turn wires to the box, the brake light power source to the box, the tail light power source to the box, and a ground to the box....the outlet side of the box has the left turn/stop on one wire (yellow), the right turn/stop on another wire (green), the tail on another wire (brown), and the ground (white)... it is a simple install as stated before; don't bother trying to make it work without the converter---you go nuts....

So all I need is the trailer converter and I will be good to go as long as I am ok with the fast flash correct? I think I actually remember pulling one of those off my truck at one point. Maybe I still have it around somewhere.

Yes, you need the converter to run a single light.
Or without a converter you can run two lights per side...one for tail/stop, and the other for turn...

Got it all figured out. Found the old U-haul Converter that I remembered cutting out of the truck not too long after I first got it, got everything hooked up and now it is good to go! Now I've got everything but rear hazards, but I don't really give a **** about those anyhow.

:awesomework: Although, if all the lights work out back, the hazards should work too...wierd...

I can't remember for sure but didn't first gens have a seperate can for the hazards?

I fixed the led tailight issue the easy way. EL12 flasher module and a seperate pair of 2 1/2" round amber blinkers. :D

tailights.jpg

So I've been running these lights for a bit now, and they jsut started showing a little bit of light at the turn signal indicators when I get on the brakes, and the opposite side is still lighting up a bit when I use either sides blinker. Any fixes?