• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Let's see some ram mounts

I don't know if it's different using a single ended ram for full-hydro steering, but I talked to PSC quite a bit when I set up my hydro-assist on my rig, and they and AGR were pretty insistent that both rod ends should be mounted in the same plane (not perpendicular to each other) to help minimize side loading and any possible binding in the cylinder shaft and ends when the steering is cycling back and forth. Both companies stated that most failures come from the two ends not being in the same plane as each other, and the cylinder not being perfectly level with the tie-rod, creating a slight side-load in the cylinder when it's working. I know everyone is talking about making the ends perpendicular to each other, but I'm just letting you guys know what two different companies that both do hydro steering for a living told me for my hydro-assist setup. I set it up like they suggest, with the ends in the same plane, and the cylinder perfectly level to the tie rod, and the ****er works sweet. Just passing on some info. If you guys want pics, let me know and I could try to get some.

I don't know if it's different using a single ended ram for full-hydro steering, but I talked to PSC quite a bit when I set up my hydro-assist on my rig, and they and AGR were pretty insistent that both rod ends should be mounted in the same plane (not perpendicular to each other) to help minimize side loading and any possible binding in the cylinder shaft and ends when the steering is cycling back and forth. Both companies stated that most failures come from the two ends not being in the same plane as each other, and the cylinder not being perfectly level with the tie-rod, creating a slight side-load in the cylinder when it's working. I know everyone is talking about making the ends perpendicular to each other, but I'm just letting you guys know what two different companies that both do hydro steering for a living told me for my hydro-assist setup. I set it up like they suggest, with the ends in the same plane, and the cylinder perfectly level to the tie rod, and the ****er works sweet. Just passing on some info. If you guys want pics, let me know and I could try to get some.

And your spot on. But one thing to relize is the tie will raise/lower from lock to lock so the ram most tilt a bit.

Correct, it does raise/lower just a tiny bit, and they said a small margin is both normal and acceptable, but you need to start with them in the same plane and both level with each other when at a neutral/straight position to help minimize the slight percentage of movement it will see. My mount at the axle is actually right above the tube, and at the tie rod the mount is directly behind the tie rod, so it also rotates just a tiny bit when turned back and forth, but I'd say the ram sees a less than 3 degree angle from neutral up or down when the steering is cycled, so it is VERY negligible. I was pretty anal about it when I did it, considering I was replacing and completely re-designing the PO's setup that was complete crap, so I figured if I was re-doing it, I wanted it to be tits, and it is.

Correct, it does raise/lower just a tiny bit, and they said a small margin is both normal and acceptable, but you need to start with them in the same plane and both level with each other when at a neutral/straight position to help minimize the slight percentage of movement it will see. My mount at the axle is actually right above the tube, and at the tie rod the mount is directly behind the tie rod, so it also rotates just a tiny bit when turned back and forth, but I'd say the ram sees a less than 3 degree angle from neutral up or down when the steering is cycled, so it is VERY negligible. I was pretty anal about it when I did it, considering I was replacing and completely re-designing the PO's setup that was complete crap, so I figured if I was re-doing it, I wanted it to be tits, and it is.

I have followed the same principal since I setup my first one a number of years ago and its done me right :awesomework:

I'm just letting you guys know what two different companies that both do hydro steering for a living told me for my hydro-assist setup.

To the best of my knowledge either of these companies installs these cylinders. They onle sell parts....Rules of thumb are only worth so much. Sometimes specific circumstances require that you do things different.:;