• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets talk 60 front brakes...

zjtrey

the current front axle is a 78 ford 60..

I've been running the dual piston ford calipers for quite a few years and i've had problems all along but managed to get by. The majority of the problems come from the key and spring setup that retains the calipers.

I've modified the key setup to use more than one bolt to retain the key and that stopped the keys from falling out.. after that the springs wouldn't stay in and the calipers would bang around making ungodly noise.

At this point i'm either going to live with the banging around or swap over to chevy calipers somehow..

Is there a down and dirty way to do this cheaply?

I wouldn't mind using the blackbird customs brackets but you have to use their "modified" rotors? not really liking that idea or the cost of their "kit"...

There's gotta be a cheaper easier way...or maybe a good fix for the current setup...

Mine had 1/2ton Chevy calipers stock 3/4t rotors it had a flat plate that bolted to the spindle bolts and a 1/4" plate for a spacer? I don't know what company made them though!

Re: Re: Lets talk 60 front brakes...

I made new keys to go in mine, it seems that the brackets stretch over time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

yeah i've done new keys multiple times...i'm tired of screwing with it really.. If i can swap over to chevy calipers on the cheap ill do it. if not i'll just live with the banging..

you could build a flat plate bracket and swap to some 93-97 model Land Cruiser calipers. They use a rotor that is basically the same exact size as the Ford Dana 60 (12.25" diameter, 1.25" thick).

Should be pretty easy to build a bracket, and the calipers just bolt on solid. They are nice 4 piston units.

getimage.php

TBItoy said:
you could build a flat plate bracket and swap to some 93-97 model Land Cruiser calipers. They use a rotor that is basically the same exact size as the Ford Dana 60 (12.25" diameter, 1.25" thick).

Should be pretty easy to build a bracket, and the calipers just bolt on solid. They are nice 4 piston units.

getimage.php

If this works, it's a great idea. These calipers stop my 6000 lb rig easily

Re: Re: Re: Lets talk 60 front brakes...

muddinmetal said:
If this works, it's a great idea. These calipers stop my 6000 lb rig easily

I'd like to try it or see someone try it. Toyota brakes are a hell of a lot better than hokey ass old Ford and Chevy calipers.

I had a buddy make a plate and spacer and then had to weld a piece on the ears for bolts since I didn't have a bender and run chevy 1/2 ton calipers with my stock ford rotors. Still had to grind the calipers a little to fit my 15s but with different backspacing, mine is 4", I could have run them stock. I hated the keys and the springs popped out no matter how tight I had them. Even welded in some meat on the keys to tighten them up and it didn't help.

i like the idea of the land cruiser calipers, might have to see if i can find a deal on a set.. Rockauto shows about $60 per side.. i like the hard mounting and pistons on both sides of the calipers..

I think going to mess with making some caliper brackets, just gotta decide what calipers to use now..

i really want to get some toyota calipers on my buggy, just don't have time right now to mess with make'n new caliper mounts. maybe part of my winter project

wizzo said:
i really want to get some toyota calipers on my buggy, just don't have time right now to mess with make'n new caliper mounts. maybe part of my winter project

I thought you already had wildwood calipers on the buggy?

did you look at bolting some on? How much difference was there?

Thanks for the links.. requested some pricing from VA4x4..

the more I think about it i'm liking the idea of the land cruiser calipers... anybody have a set for sale?

TBItoy said:
I thought you already had wildwood calipers on the buggy?

did you look at bolting some on? How much difference was there?

i have the 4 piston WW calipers, they stop well but i think the toyota caliper is a better option. you can watch the WW calipers flex or distort when you apply brake pressure. i did try to bolt on the tacoma front calipers, like we discussed, but with the trick toys fab. brackets i have currently, the toyota calipers would not match up with the rotor. the caliper sat up too high above the rotor to get full pad contact. and that was with the shorter toyota caliper mount casting. i believe the toyota calipers will work well with the current WW rotors i have but i need to make new caliper mounting brackets and i just don't have the time right now and the WW calipers do the job but just not as well as i think possible. i could spend more money to go to 6 piston WW calipers but i like the idea of the toyota's better.

nick - this is the caliper i tried
getimage.php

Re: Re: Lets talk 60 front brakes...

Dang I was almost sure that would work. What diameter rotors do you have?

Can you get bigger wilwood rotors?

That would definitely make the brakes work good

right now i have a 12.19 diameter rotor and can not go any bigger b/c it would change the rotor bolt mounting pattern. it looks like the factory tacoma calipers use a rotor that is 11.68 diameter. i can go to a 11.75 to match the caliper better but it wouldn't fix my mounting/ pad contact issue currently