• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lightened flywheel (car related...)

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
So what are the advantages of a lightened flywheel? I understand some of it, but I want to hear some first hand experience with driving characteristics. I'm thinking about going with one on ym vw when i swap motors, but not sure if it would be benifitial to gas mileage/maintaining highway speeds/low end torque/takeoffs....?

And what about stage 1 kits? worth the money, or are they a hassle to drive in stop and go traffic? I wish they had a stage .5 kit, lol, something in between.... oh well can't have it all, lol.

:corn:

Last edited:
with a lighened flywheel you get quicker revs, which means it takesless fuel to get the motor to turn. you lose some torque but you will gain some hp

good for drag racing, bad for 4 wheeling, and so-so for the street.

Like Johnboy said quicker revs and less fuel for acceleration, but also less inertial mass so you may vary speed a little more (minor variations) on the road which offsets the fuel saved from acceleration. (harder to control a steady speed. accelerates a bit quicker, but decelerates quicker too)

Most stage 1 kits are equal to stock with a lil more clamping power (stiffer pedal), a lightened flywheel will make launching quicker, but it is harder to control speeds in traffic and its a pain in the ass to drive in stop and go, unless you have a hella slow reving motor or don't drive in traffic much i'd skip it, and just do a stage 1 clutch with a stock flywheel.

Most stage 1 kits are equal to stock with a lil more clamping power (stiffer pedal), a lightened flywheel will make launching quicker, but it is harder to control speeds in traffic and its a pain in the ass to drive in stop and go, unless you have a hella slow reving motor or don't drive in traffic much i'd skip it, and just do a stage 1 clutch with a stock flywheel.

That's kinda what i was leaning towards as i kinda like the heavier flywheel i think, cus i can bog this motor a little more and it really does hook up with a wearing stock clutch on the hills. plus i drive a lot of stop-go and highway traffic so i kinda like being able to bog the motor a little, it defintily seems with the setup I have now to work good, it just doesn't feel like I have much pedal left...

'94 golf 2.0l 5spd...
IMG_2044Medium.jpg

I have a 06 wrx wagon, which has a very light flywheel in it which does make it a pain in the arse in stop and go. It will rev very quickly once engaged, but prior to the motor wants to die very easy.

I got a turbo 01 integra with a 7.5 lb flywheel and 6 puck clutch. I love the way it revs and engages, but once in traffic i look like a guy that don't know how to drive a manual car. oh wheels damn thing bangs hard and spools the turbo quicker.

6puck.jpg

gizzer.jpg

Dude, you could drive my underpowered POS to see what you think. I dont even notice it after the first day driving it. Just don't make fun of how slow it is, lol.

Like I said, I like mine. Granted, I have a "stock" clutch assembly, but I have the 16 valve pressure plate which is an "upgrade". I think even with a stage 1 clutch, that it would still be plenty streetable. The stock flywheel is only like 14 LBS anyway, so going down to 8 isnt a HUGE difference. I dont have a problem with mine and wouldn't see a huge problem even in stop and go traffic, even if I did have a more grabbing clutch.

It does bog down quick if you engage the clutch too fast if you dont have the revs up enough, but its not any worse than when you engage the clutch too fast on any other car without enough throttle. Like I said, Im already used to it, even though theres not much to get used to, and its just "how the car is" to me now.

I went from my Golf with the lightweight flywheel to my Toyota with the heavyweight and dual friction clutch today when I had to run to McLendons while working on the Golf, and I had no problems going from one to the other even.

Get the manual clutch cable either way you go though. Cheap and easy to install for the life of your clutch. 10 min job.

~T.J.

Latest posts