• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LIL help with the ignition tumbler

TooRisky

I am pulling my 77" Jeep Cherokee "S" out of its winters mothballing and find the ingition tumbler refuses to budge, meaning put key in and does not turn. Is there any old schoolers out there that have any idea....How about help in pulling it, do I go through the streering wheel or is there an easier way to pull and replace said tumbler...

any help and advanced thanks for the help

Steve

I take it the ignition is in the column in your jeep? If so, yes you have to tear down the column. However you've got a rig that is in the crossover years that had a possibility of two different types of ignitions. A bolt in(GM style) and a snap in(old Chrylser style). Unfortunately it's really hard to say what type till the colume is torn down.

Thanks for the info...pretty sure its chrysler as that is the orig. key and the key in the new one I have bought. Is there any special tools beside a wheel puller to do the job...???

Is the Ign key a square one like GM's from the 70's-80's, or does it look kinda like an arrow head??? If it's square, it's the bolt-in style (GM based)....The '77 Chief I just sold had this style.

better spray the hell out of it with PB blaster.
alot of times, the cylinder wont come out, until its in the ON position.
im not sure about THAT specific rig tho...

better spray the hell out of it with PB blaster.
alot of times, the cylinder wont come out, until its in the ON position.
im not sure about THAT specific rig tho...

Oh this would definatly not make my day if it is correct....otherwise it is the square key with chrystler stamped onto it....well I will see, spray the hell out of it first and cross my fingers.

Thanks

THat won't make a difference with that specific style of ignition.

Whew....one less thing to worry about....well thanks all for all your great ides and knowledge, give good weather this weekend I will get this all done.

Thanks all

Steve

Latest posts